Spacebar doesn't work, not a hardware problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GM ram, 128mb vram, Macbook, iPhone 3G 8g
My younger sister was messing around with the system preferences, now the keys do some strange things, but mainly the space bar doesn't work.

I can press shift + space and then it works, and it works fine in games like Word of Warcraft, so it is not a hardware problem.

I am looking for a way to reset all of my settings to default (without re-installing the operating system.

So, is there any "master reset" for the system preferences?

Thanks,

Jay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
First I would go to System Preferences > Keyboard and re-identify the keyboard.

If that doesn't do it then you could delete your System Preferences plist by going to "user/Library/Preferences" and deleting com.apple.systempreferences.plist.

Even better, if you are using Time Machine you could go back to just before the problem started and bring that preference file forward to replace the current one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Go to System Prefs, Keyboard, then in Keyboard Shortcuts there is a Restory Defaults button.

should fix it.

(if not do what Rick suggests with the plist) :)

Reaction score
hey guys

I am on snow, and i tried the to solutions above, but the restore thing did not work and I do not have the "com.apple.systempreferences.plist" anywhere on my mac.

any more help, pls?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
com.apple.systempreferences.plist will definitely be there.
Go to user (you), library folder, scroll down to preferences folder and open that. It should be around half way down the list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.