Moving an application to an external

Reaction score
Alright, I feel a little noobish asking this question, but am I able to move an application to my external hard drive. I am trying to reinstall leopard, but I don't have the disk for Microsoft word and I don't want to go through the hassle of finding the disk and reinstalling it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're referring to MS Office Word.... Moving it to an external and then back without doing a new install is probably not going to work as there are files scattered throughout the OS. Also, the product ID code is encrypted into one of those supporting files.

Why don't you make a clone backup of your hard drive or at least use Time Machine? You can do a restore with Time Machine while you're reinstalling Leopard.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
You sure couldn't do that with the Windows version. But maybe you can with the Mac version. Try it and let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I've never tried it with "MS Office Word" as the proper name appears to be, but I've had success with other applications. I moved an old version of Flash, Photoshop Elements, and a few others from my mom's old iBook onto my old MB with a USB flash drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I have moved Office 2004 over to an external successfully by just dragging it over to the other drive. Can't say how well this works with 2008 (which I have, but am not particularly inclined to test this and I don't have an external drive hooked up at the moment) but you can definitely drag the app over to some folder on the external and it should work fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you don't have the disk how you going to re-install it and then activate it? Larger applications, MS Office included, do not drag and drop well and a clean ionstall is the best option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
You'll have to also copy library files from both User library and System Library folders with Office 2008.

You may try googling it, but if not, just let me know. I've done this before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.