CD Drive Sounds does not work at all.

Reaction score
I wrote the title wrong, it should be CD Drive does not work at all. No idea where the "Sounds" came from.

I've got a Macbook, which I'm afraid has gotten a bit dirty over time as I've neglected to clean it and now the CD drive doesn't work. The cd goes in and stays in fine, but when it spins it makes a horrible noise and sometimes even scratches the cd. I've also had a few cases where the CD simply wouldn't come out and I had to wait for a tedious length of time while my laptop tore away at the CD. It's been like this for a while and I've gotten by, but now it has really begun to become annoying and I'd like to fix it. So, I was wondering how I should go about trying to fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You need to replace the drive, no question. Not too hard to do, and they are cheap these days. Google for a "how to".
Don't put another CD in it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.