photoshop - vfusion or parallels?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26 GHz MacBook Pro
So I found out I can't transfer my PC license of Photoshop CS3 to the Mac... and I'd like to avoid spending another $200 to buy the mac version (customer support said I had to upgrade to CS4 for the Mac). And since I had planned on buying VM software to do .NET programming for work anyway, I plan on just porting Photoshop to the VM until I save up the extra 200 to run it on the Mac natively.

SO... which would be better for Photoshop, VMware VFusion, or Parallels? I'd like to avoid rebooting to edit/save photos, so Bootcamp really isn't my choice... but just curious as to what others are using :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Either of them will do it, however photoshop can be pretty CPU and Memory dependent. Therefore, using a virtual machine is not ideal unless you like lag and lock ups. >_<"

From my experience, VMWare seems to be faster and more responsive than Parallel. That might have changed? The last version I used was Parallel 4 and I don't feel like paying money to test if it's faster or better than VMFusion's current version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Why can't you transfer your license? Does Adobe not support transferring an older version?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Why can't you transfer your license? Does Adobe not support transferring an older version?

I don't think it's a question of can't. It's more like they want to make more money.

I would call customer service again and try asking if you can transfer the licensing. If you get the same answer from last time I would ask why they can't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It's not a matter of Adobe not letting him do so.
The rep he spoke with was probably not clear enough in explaining how it would work since an upgrade was recently released.

He can transfer the license to his machine.
He cannot transfer to the Mac version of Photoshop CS3 since Adobe no longer sells it.
He can transfer to Photoshop CS4, but it will cost him some money to do so.

Nowhere near what it would cost to purchase Photoshop CS4 new, but it will cost him to "transfer" or upgrade.

He did mention that he is still planning to do so, which is the best solution for him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I personally like VmWare Fusion, especially the new v3.0. I have found that it has better DirectX support over Parallels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
I've used Photoshop - but not CS admittedly - under VMFusion and it has worked fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4
Photoshop - Vfusion or Parallels

I've used VMWare Fusion for a while and I like it. I had tried Parallels, but was unhappy with it. It was an older version of Parallels so maybe the new version might be better. Fusion has worked for me on my black MacBook with 2.4 GHz proc. All my Windows programs run very well and, if I might say so, quickly. I recommend VM Ware Fusion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.