Classic for OS X Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Hi guys!

i have question regarding a game i just bought, its a quite old game called "Myst 3 Exile" and is supposed to work with mac.

the problem is that when i try to install in on my brand new MacbookPro with OS X i get the message that: "The classic-environment is no longer supported" and i am unable to open the installer file.

i believe there is a way to run mac os 9 in addition to os x but have not found any good links in the support on apple.com that gives any decent information about how this is supposed to be done.

hopefully someone here has done something alike and are able to help me :)

Just remember i am a new mac user and not very educated in all its technical parts, so please keep it on a basic level so that i may understand.

thank you all!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No more "Classic" in Mac OS 10.5 or 10.6 or on Intel based Macintosh computers.

If you need to run some sort of OS 9 software...you need to be running OS 10.4 Tiger on a PPC based Mac...or have a much older Mac capable of booting into OS 9 natively.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok, so there is no way to run a installer made for "classic"? I still read at apple.com that it was possible to install some sort of os 9 software and then run the computer in classic mode. you dont think that might be possible? i might have misunderstood of course...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so there is no way to run a installer made for "classic"? I still read at apple.com that it was possible to install some sort of os 9 software and then run the computer in classic mode. you dont think that might be possible? i might have misunderstood of course...

If read something somewhere at apple.com, then find it, and link it here, so I & others can read it...because it would be new info to me, and I would like to learn about it.

Otherwise...you basically have 2 strikes against you trying to run "Classic" on a MacBook Pro.

As I mentioned above:

1. "Classic" is not supported in Mac OS 10.5 or 10.6.
2. "Classic" is not supported on Intel based Mac's.

If you need to run OS 9 software...you need either:

- an older PPC based Macintosh running OS 10.4 or earlier.
- a much older Macintosh that is capable of dual-booting into OS 9 or OS X.
- a VERY old Macintosh that boots into OS 9 only.

All three options above will probably cost much more (if you don't already have the hardware & OS software) than the cost of the "Myst 3 Exile" software you purchased.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
A
Reaction score
oh, maan.... thats kinda ..., i just bought the game and now i cant use it? :( guess its to buy the later versions compatible to os x :/

well well, ty for your help and have a nice evening :) but if you do find a way, please dont hesitate to post it :)

now its off to the game store. byebye!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually your "bad words" add absolutely no additional value to your post or this thread!:(

Too bad you already opened the software, otherwise you might have been able to return it.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
ok, take it easy. did not mean to insult you or anything. just got a little sad :/

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, take it easy. did not mean to insult you or anything. just got a little sad :/

It's not about taking it easy. The moderators on this website have mentioned previously that they like to keep the language around here "G-rated" so no "bad words".:)

As far as being sad...that software you purchased couldn't have cost you more than $10-$20 dollars...for a person that just got a brand new MacBook Pro...that's certainly not BIG BUCKS!;)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
yes, you are right, sorry :)

well that is also true :p but its not the money, its the gaming i will lose, and i've been looking forward to it... but still, there are other sequels to this one, so it'll be one of those i guess.

thank you again for helping me :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, you are right, sorry :)

well that is also true :p but its not the money, its the gaming i will lose, and i've been looking forward to it... but still, there are other sequels to this one, so it'll be one of those i guess.

thank you again for helping me :)

You're very welcome!:)

I know how you feel...it's too bad not being able to use the software.:(

I guess be careful to check system requirements before opening the software.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
yes it not very nice at all :( and the problem is: i did look it all up, and you are supposed to use a patch to be able to play it an all, but the problem is that i cant even open the file :p everything else would probably have worked fine :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes it not very nice at all :( and the problem is: i did look it all up, and you are supposed to use a patch to be able to play it an all, but the problem is that i cant even open the file :p everything else would probably have worked fine :)

I'm going to guess that the "patch" you mentioned probably works in an older version of the Macintosh OS...probably OS 10.4 or earlier.

Actually I just did a search & found this link:

Apple - Games - Articles - Myst 3: Exile

If you go to page 2 of the link...it says the system requirements for this game is OS 8.6 or OS 10.1. This version of Myst was released in 2002...that's 7 years ago...which is ancient history when it comes to computers.

And yes there is an OS X patch linked on the page I linked above, but that was probably a patch to allow the game to run under OS 10.1. There may have been additional patches released for this version of Myst...but eventually companies stop writing patches for really old software.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
yes, that was probably it. but since i'm not to aware of all the hardware i clearly misread. :p well, thanks for all and byebye!

:)

- Arvid

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.