Solution for Hard Drive Clicking? Maybe this would work?

Reaction score
Ok, so I bought a 320 GB WD Scorpio Black for my MBP.

Like most people, I get the clicking every ~30 seconds. Its coming for the head parking or loading/unloading.

I *believe* its some kind of conflict between OS X and the Hard Drive attempting to save power.

This is the spec sheet for the drive-
Specifications for the WD 2.5 inch Scorpio Black SATA hard drives (model WDxxxxBJKT, WDxxxxBEKT)

Any chance it would work to to remove the left jumper? And then let OS X handle the power saving (In energy saver) ? Do you think I would see a BIG decrease in battery life?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have the same drive installed in my machine and have no problem with clicking or otherwise. Also, the drive is shipped without any jumpers on the block. (default setting)

What exactly are you intending to do? If you add a jumper between pins 4 and 3 that will actually reduce the power spinup. The default is no jumpers which means normal power spinup and SSC disabled.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
As far as I know RPS shouldn't dock every 30 seconds, but weirder things have happened.... removing it and trying it without it certainly won't hurt..

OP
A
Reaction score
It sounds like it doesnt even have the jumper. (per chscag). This is my second one too- the first one did the same thing, and also seemed to have a little too much vibration.

Anyway, this is the kind of thing going on:

Apple Portables: Hard drives and noise

Does your Apple notebook hard drive (HDD) ever sound like little mice are playing table tennis inside of it? Or, why your HDD might be pre-programmed for quick failure.

I tried installing the hard drive update on the apple page, but it said "This computer doesnt need it"

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have the same drive. It is virtually silent in my MBP. Don't know that I have ever heard a click out of it. Am also running it in default setting without a jumper.

OP
A
Reaction score
Im just baffled. It seems like 50% of people say its normal, and the other half have NO problems.

I do have "Put HDD to sleep when possible" UNCHECKED in Energy Saver.

Guess Ill talk to Western Digital...

EDIT:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc..._sid=YiQjkeNj&p_faqid=61&p_created=1003443395

According to solution 1 on WD's website, It needs to be replaced. If its really defective this is the 2nd one in a row from Amazon, which seems unlikely. Oh well, I can get a new one for free might as well. Im leaning against this 7200 RPM drive though. Might just get a 5400 RPM one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.