Snow Leopard question

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to administering Mac's so please excuse this question if if it really basic.

I have a user who needs her machine to close and reopen her email app which is Eudora if that is need every 2 hour over the weekends.

So my question is does SL have a task mgr app that can do this.

I have been looking for this info and have had no luck in finding it.

Thank you

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
You could probably create a task using Automator. It is in the applications folder.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks I looked at automator and on the list of app's it seemed only to show native Mac app's. Not app's I have installed like Eudora and MS word. Is this normally?

Thanks
Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I have a user who needs her machine to close and reopen her email app which is Eudora if that is need every 2 hour over the weekends.
No, you don't.

You have a user that needs something, obviously, but that is not what she needs.

Why don't you find out what her actual problem is, and then post that here?

OP
P
Reaction score

Sorry I missed typed

I need to close down Eudora and reopen it every 2 hours from 7 P.M. on Friday till 6 A.M. on Monday morning. The issue is there is a memory leak in Eudora that cause's it to crash if it is not closed and reopened.

I am thinking that using CRONTAB is the way to go. i am just having a little trouble getting it to work as I would expect it to. If any one could help with this it would be great.

thanks
Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
you can write an AppleScript to run that will open and close. There are many resources online. I'd start here to get a feel for it and have fun!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The issue is there is a memory leak in Eudora that cause's it to crash if it is not closed and reopened.
Not likely. If there were a memory leak, it would have been obvious years ago.

There are lots of problems with certain Eudora settings and features in Leopard and Snow Leopard. (For example, the default sounds. See the note at the bottom of the download page) Whatever the issue, you would be better off investigating it and trying to see if there is a feature or function you can disable to actually solve the problem.

If you can't figure it out, migrate the user to a supported email client. Quitting and re-launching the program is a bad solution and may cause even more problems if the program is already unreliable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.