Problems with DVD burning Software (Toast Titanium & Others)

Reaction score
I have been trying to burn dvd's lately using my macbook pro. However, when I start the burning process, "the program quit unexpectedly" every time. I have tried this using Toast Titanium which I have read is the best burning software as well as others, all with the same result. PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
As a first stage, run disk utility and run a permissions repair. Restart the mac and tell us if the problem persists.

OP
P
Reaction score
Did as you said, still not working. Every time I try to add a file in the list on Toast Titanium, I get the beach ball and have to force quit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Just as a test, try using Burn - which is free - just to see if the issue could be with Toast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
To the OP ...

Have you tried burning a CD / DVD using the standard OS X functionality ?

Are you trying to burn Dual Layer DVD's ?

Have you tried using another brand of DVD's ?

Are you trying to burn DVD +R or DVD -R ?

Post back and I am sure someone can help you pinpoint the problem.

Cheers ... McBie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have been trying to burn dvd's lately using my macbook pro. However, when I start the burning process, "the program quit unexpectedly" every time. I have tried this using Toast Titanium which I have read is the best burning software as well as others, all with the same result. PLEASE HELP!

You might be experiencing a hardware problem with your DVD superdrive. First thing to check is open the "System Profiler" (Applications, Utilities) and make sure the drive is showing up.

You didn't mention whether or not you can read a disk in the drive? Have you checked to see if you can?

Regards.

Reaction score
same problem here.

I'm using Toast 10 Titanium. It worked fine for four days. Now every time I open it the application "quits unexpectedly" after three seconds.

Up to now
..I uninstalled it two times.
..checked everything with disk utility.
..tried to delete all kind of files in the library folder. Although I might have left out some.

Weird thing is that it worked fine and then .. baff .. nothing.

? anyone up for the riddle ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
I'm experiencing the very same issues as the op, and have thus far tried everything in the sticky.

I'm using Burn, and trying to burn two films, but each time Burn gets to burning, its closes unexpectedly, which now, I fear my dvd drive maybe faulty, as I have not ever used it to burn a cd or dvd previously. I have check everything, and my drive has burn permissions.

Is there a simple test I can perform to check burning status?

I'm all out of options.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
About the only test you can accomplish is one that lets you burn to media. If you have some CD+RW disks laying around, do some test burns to see if it's working. You can always erase them later. Also try burning using Disk Utility rather than Burn.

The Apple Hardware Test may be another way to test the drive, however, I'm not sure if it includes it in its testing.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
Thanks for your response, I managed to fix the issue by simply cleaning my drives lens with a DVD Lens cleaner dvd, running the cleaner a couple of time, all is working 100% now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp
It would be more useful if Apple stopped putting Superdrives in their laptops and put an actual toaster in, so I can have some breakfast while I use the external burner.

Matshita by name much shita nature.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It would be more useful if Apple stopped putting Superdrives in their laptops and put an actual toaster in, so I can have some breakfast while I use the external burner.

Matshita by name much shita nature.

On the contrary, I had excellent experience with the Matsu drive in my first MacBook Pro. My '08 model shipped with an LG-branded drive that was loud and developed problems within 6 months. Luckily the Apple Store swapped it for a Matsu model and it works like a champ. I do have occasional issues burning dual-layer discs, but I'm told that's a bug in OS X and not a hardware issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.