MBP Fans and Temperature

Reaction score
I've seen my MBP go up to temperatures of 90C, which I'm guessing will damage the computer? Without programs running it will usually run at around 32C, with programs sometimes around 40C. I use it quite a lot for video editing and encoding, and I see it go up to 60C with large file transfers and 90C for encoding. I'm looking at using SMCFan Control to cool my MBP down. Fans are usually running at 2000rpm, though what is an acceptable temperature?

I am thinking of running it at 2000rpm for below 50C, and above 50C run at 3000 or 3500rpm, and at 80C or more 4000-5000rpm. I've also heard that running the fan at high speeds reduces its life, so the question is do fans at high speed cause more damage than a really really hot (80C +) CPU? What range of rpm should I use that won't be too damaging to the fans?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
The fans in your MBP are designed by the Apple engineers to start cooling when it is required, depending on the temperature.

Fiddling around and manually controlling the fans is not advised.

When your MBP gets too hot, it will shut down automatically to prevent damage.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
Agreed. I don't know if that will void warranty or not.

OP
T
Reaction score
The fans in your MBP are designed by the Apple engineers to start cooling when it is required, depending on the temperature.

Fiddling around and manually controlling the fans is not advised.

When your MBP gets too hot, it will shut down automatically to prevent damage.

Cheers ... McBie

So even if I'm running at 70 - 90C it's fine for the computer? It just sounds really bad considering the 'starting' temperature is 30 - 40C and I've heard 'stories' of keyboards bending from heat etc

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It's normal for the computer to get hot when you are doing things like video encoding and opening large files.

However you shouldn't let the fans run 24/7 at full blast. Just let the computer do what it needs to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.