Can I download Windows programs on my Mac?

Reaction score
After 35 years on a PC, I finally got my first Mac. It's an older G3 laptop, with OS X 10.4.11. I've been getting used to the differences between it and my former system, which, unfortunately, I still have to use for some applications. My PC recently crashed and burned - over and over - and I have to reinstall some software, specialty writing and image-manipulation programs, but I can't risk the Internet without Anti-virus and firewall software which I have to get on the Internet to download. Which leads me to the question in the header. And, please, very, very simple steps. I am the poster boy for 'newbie'.
Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
You can, but you will not be able to do much with them (such as run them on your system). The only way you could use them would be to use the Boot Camp utility, which I believe is only available for Leopard (10.5). 10.4 is Tiger, the preceding OS to Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You can, but you will not be able to do much with them (such as run them on your system). The only way you could use them would be to use the Boot Camp utility, which I believe is only available for Leopard (10.5). 10.4 is Tiger, the preceding OS to Leopard.
To clarify, you will not be able to use Boot Camp.
It's an older G3 laptop, with OS X 10.4.11.
Boot Camp requires an Intel-based Mac.

You could use Virtual PC to install Windows... but I would advise against it.
It is extremely slow and you would be better off simply running a Windows computer for Windows programs in your case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
Since the OP has a G3 PPC laptop running Boot Camp is not an option.

The only way to run Windows on that unit is with Virtual PC and it is not a great solution.

I am afraid the short answer is, no, you can't run PC programs on your laptop. Hopefully you can find Mac equalvilent programs.

---
It was a close race but D3v1L80Y beat me to it by a few minutes! :)

Reaction score
I think the OP was asking if he can download a Windows program on his Mac and then take it on to his PC and install the program there.....which is no problem at all - ( You can download anything you want on any operating system - it just won't install on the incorrect OS, that's all.).

So just download whatever you need to your Mac and then copy them to a thumb drive or whatever and copy to your Windows machine and install them.

Coops

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I think the OP was asking if he can download a Windows program on his Mac and then take it on to his PC and install the program there.....which is no problem at all - ( You can download anything you want on any operating system - it just won't install on the incorrect OS, that's all.).

So just download whatever you need to your Mac and then copy them to a thumb drive or whatever and copy to your Windows machine and install them.

Coops

I do this all the time and then just move the file on the network to the desktop of my Win system for use later.

However, you needn't be so concerned about viruses on a clean install on your Windows machine. Just don't be going all over the web until you get your A-V installed. You're safe enough to go grab all the Win updates, driver updates, get all your software installed, create a restore point, then go grab whichever is your favorite A-V software.

Reaction score
After 35 years on a PC, I finally got my first Mac. It's an older G3 laptop, with OS X 10.4.11. I've been getting used to the differences between it and my former system, which, unfortunately, I still have to use for some applications. My PC recently crashed and burned - over and over - and I have to reinstall some software, specialty writing and image-manipulation programs, but I can't risk the Internet without Anti-virus and firewall software which I have to get on the Internet to download. Which leads me to the question in the header. And, please, very, very simple steps. I am the poster boy for 'newbie'.
Thanks a lot.

That's pretty much what I do. My PC is not internet-connected, my Mac is. If I need something on the PC I download it to the Mac and then transfer it to the PC via my network. I have the PC's firewall enabled as is the one on the router. I can't use the firewall on my Mac because then the Mac can't see the PC. Other than that last point it all seems to work very well for me.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you all

I am possibly wrong, but I found the responses here quicker and more user-friendly than anything I encountered in the Windows World. And they booted up faster, too.
I apologize for my lack of clarity. I was, indeed, wanting to load up my XP box with the protective gear that Windows requires, without running the risk of infection.
Thank you all for the prompt, informative and friendly responses.
Roy

Reaction score
I know it costs, but what about Crossover? that would run Windows Applications on your Mac

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When you hit the mid to late 50's, you've been doing everything for 35 years.;D

(at least I know I have )

OP
D
Reaction score
I started with programming an IBM keypunch machine at a community college (I don't remember the model numbers), coding one card at a time, got my very own Vic 20, moved on Commodore 64, then to Radio Shack... another giant... and passed up on a chance to get a little Mac tower that came in a blue bag and had black and white graphics.
Further, in my defence, aside from the fact that anything mathematical over ten, I have to take off my shoes, some of those may have been dog years. I have been called an SOB so many times by so many people that I am starting to believe it. And, finally, thank you bobtomay. I am looking back at sixty with wistful longing.
And finally finally, remember this. There are only two kinds of people. People who finish things, and

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And what PC were you using in 1974?

How about an IBM 360/50? :) Big Iron! Loved that machine. A bit noisy and cold in the computer room but it was fun.

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In 1974 I was working with Audio Electronics and computers were just something I hear about and was interested in, but no way to really mess with one till the Commodore Vic 20/64 came out and also the Atari 8Bits. So 1984 for me. I did get to try a Apple Lisa and later a Mac Plus back then and wanted one so bad. Took me years but finally! :D

I use my iMac to download all files whether for the Mac or Windows. Just network copy then where I want them later. I even use my Mac to flash routers unless they need an EXE file to flash them.

OP
D
Reaction score
There's so much I can't remember...

I know the IBM was huge. It was chest high on a tall man - me - and it was arranged in a couple mini-freight cars that filled most of a room. On the top of the operator's console, there was this huge card bin. It was all grey and the sound that it made when it read all those cards... and I remember we used to slip cards in and out of other people's stacks, messing with them. We used to take the niglets - that's what we called the punched out bits - and make them into projectile weapons, by the handful. And, for a while, I programmed on a DEC 7-something, I believe, using switches... but that's another story.

OP
D
Reaction score
Continuing with the question...

I have a 160 Gb external SATA hard drive that I intend to use for downloading the Windows programs onto, using my Mac, then uploading into my Windows box so that I am not too totally afraid of going on the net. It is unformatted as yet. If I understand, the file format that I should use is FAT 32, since I am told that both Windows and Mac can read it. Any other tips that I should know about? Not just about this. I will gratefully accept any information that you can give me, to help me make the transition from a Windows user who has to stay with a couple programs to a Mac user that is wondering why Steven Jobs doesn't just go kick Bill Gates' ***** and get it over with. Thanks...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.