Has Anybody Seen or Used One of these USB Video Adapters?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Like the title says...has anybody seen or used one of these...a USB video adapter???

OWC USB to DVI/HDMI/VGA Video Display (Up to... (VIDU2DVIA) at OWC

I heard about this from another guy...he says he's using two of them on his Mac Pro.

I would love to hear from anyone who knows of any Pros or Cons to this "gizmo"...it's sold by one of our better Macintosh Stores...OWC.

Thanks,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Only seen it recently and only a single confirmation that it worked. That was about all that was said.

You could be the guinea pig and let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've seen multiple USB to Video adapters in use at trade shows like CES and Computex and they all seemed to work just fine. Heck, I've even seen wireless VGA that hooks up via USB.

To add secondary screens, I don't see the problem in using a USB adapter.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I used that adapter for about two months while writing a review for ATPM - About This Particular Macintosh. You can find the full review at ATPM 15.08 - Review: OWC USB 2.0 Display Adapter

Overall it performs as advertised. I would have given it a higher rating but it doesn't fully support Open GL so some software, such as iPhoto, will not be fully functional on the display connected to that device. I liked it enough to purchase the review unit and it came in handy recently when my Mac Pro was experiencing video problems. I was able to use that device to power my monitor when it appeared my graphics card was failing.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies guys. I was looking for an inexpensive way to be able to add a 3rd monitor to my Mac Pro. Not that I REALLY need a 3rd monitor...just the computer geek in me wants to give it a try!:)

This USB video adapter is $87.99 new from OWC...much less than a "real" video card. So the "experienced person" in me says..."If it seems too good to be true...it probably is"!:(

Hmmm...any additional thoughts?...are there additional downsides to this device like "Slydude" refers to?

Thanks,

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are other similar devices out there as well as some other interesting items DisplayLink Store. Be careful when purchasing though. Not all of them specify Mac compatibility. Also some items do not appear to be available in all countries (such as the mini monitors).

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be careful when purchasing though. Not all of them specify Mac compatibility.

Believe me...after 23 years of being a Macintosh user...insuring Macintosh compatibility is automatic!;)

Thanks for the additional info,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.