Disaster

C

Chris3801

My iBook is dead I was working away doing sum word-processing next thing I no my iBook is burning an smoke starts pouring out of the vent at the back. My poor iBook just went off I’m so upset I called apple and They are just sending out a replacement. The nice man at apple said it isn’t worth trying to repair it as it is Only just over a week old they will replace it. So I an typing this on my brand new mini witch I also love I got it today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Chris3801 said:
My iBook is dead I was working away doing sum word-processing next thing I no my iBook is burning an smoke starts pouring out of the vent at the back. My poor iBook just went off I’m so upset I called apple and They are just sending out a replacement. The nice man at apple said it isn’t worth trying to repair it as it is Only just over a week old they will replace it. So I an typing this on my brand new mini witch I also love I got it today.

Crazy. Well at least they are taking care of you quickly. Just out of curiosity, were you doing some CPU intensive apps? Had your computer been on continuosly for a real long time? I'm sorry to hear about your mishap; hopefully your experience with the next one will be better.

-Chris

OP
C

Chris3801

no i had just turnd it on and started to type a letter. i had been useing it for photoshop most of the day with out a problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Ouch. That's awful.

Hope you had your data saved somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well I guess it ended well.

Reaction score
Smoke came out the back! Thats the worst thing that could happen. Im sorry for your loss. At least its getting replaced.

OP
C

Chris3801

will my new ibook when i get it have tiget installed ?? of aint i going to be that lucky

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

maybe..... there is not an actual answer for this. I would say there is a good chance..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
I remember smoke came out the back of my Atari ST :(

OP
C

Chris3801

i dont no when it will be shiped. Apple told me i would have it with in 4weeks that was about a week ago

OP
T

Thud

Graeme43 said:
I remember smoke came out the back of my Atari ST :(

Yeah that's the "magic smoke." It's what keeps your computer running. Once the magic smoke escapes though, you're hosed.

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

Chris3801 said:
i dont no when it will be shiped. Apple told me i would have it with in 4weeks that was about a week ago
your chanes of getting tiger is i would say about 95% if not call apple and tell them you wnat it and you will get it for 9.99

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.