Battery Mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15''
Hey guys I'm just wondering, what is better for my battery life (MacBook Pro), when I am at home. Is it better for the batteries, when the cable is always pluged in, or it's better when I use my MAC on battery mode? Thank you in further!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys I'm just wondering, what is better for my battery life (MacBook Pro), when I am at home. Is it better for the batteries, when the cable is always pluged in, or it's better when I use my MAC on battery mode? Thank you in further!

This exact question has been asked many many times...please do a search if you're really interested.

But my personal opinion is...don't worry about it. By "stressing out about it"...you will shorten your life more than you will be able to extend your computers battery life!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Pigoo. I know this will have been asked a millions times. Unfortunately guys like me get very little time at work to search around the site. I did do a search but could not find the answer. I KNOW IT IS IN HERE SOMEWHERE though. So if you could answer it would help us new guys to the board and Mac world a lot.

I would like to know the answer too. At the moment i fully charge my MacBook Pro then urn plug. Once it gets to below 20% i re-charge. Some days when i am not at work i will let the battery run out completely as it does all rechargeable batteries good to run flat then get a full re-charge no matter what kind of application or device it serves.

Cheers

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
This is one of those questions that doesn't have an exact answer.

You don't want to always keep it plugged in or always discharge after recharging. For the most part, you shouldn't worry about it too much because battery technology has come a long way and power management is pretty smart on Apple products.

In my opinion, you should discharge the battery to at least 20% once a week is what I've read on a lot of laptop battery webpages. This will ensure the battery is properly working. On Apple's support page, it suggests calibrating your battery once a month to make sure the sensor is working properly.

Reaction score

You don't want to always keep it plugged in or always discharge after recharging. For the most part, you shouldn't worry about it too much because battery technology has come a long way and power management is pretty smart on Apple products.

In my opinion, you should discharge the battery to at least 20% once a week is what I've read on a lot of laptop battery webpages. This will ensure the battery is properly working. On Apple's support page, it suggests calibrating your battery once a month to make sure the sensor is working properly.

Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Exactly why I didn't go into detail above. There is no simple straight forward answer to this question. Lots of opinions & other info out there...all of which does not point to any single "best" answer. There are just too many factors that come into play for any single user.

If there was a simple straight forward one sentence answer to this question it would be easy!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
it's pretty simple really, use the battery until it runs out, then plug it back in until it's fully charged, then repeat the cycle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.