Problems with Snow Leopard upgrade

Reaction score
I've just bought Snow Leopard and when I try to install the disc a message pops up saying this disc needs 10.5. or later installing first.

I'm currently running OS X 10.4.11.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or what I need to do?

Thanks in advance

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Unless I'm mistaken, the error is very clear..you are trying to upgrade tom 10.4.11 to 10.6 while only 10.5 to 10.6 is the upgrade path. The Snow Leopard CD, however, is capable of doing a full installation of SL from scratch..

Regards

OP
F
Reaction score
I was guessing that I needed to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5 first but wanted to check on here.

So are you saying it is possible to install SL without upgrading to 10.5 first? If so, can you point me in the direction of how?

Cheers

Reaction score
Restart your machine with the DVD in the drive and hold down the C key, while its booting.

Reaction score
Strange. I managed to install Snow Leopard on my friend's Mac running Tiger. I wonder how that worked out.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for your help Madgamer. I've tried this several times and I still get the same problem.

Sadly I never have time to call Applecare in the day and get home around this time at night when the offices have closed.

Any other ideas how I can upgrade to SL?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You can wipe your HD and install SL fresh and new.

Just follow this video tutorial on Youtube.

OP
F
Reaction score
Aaaaaarrrgghh.

Thanks for all your help so far. I checked out the Youtube clips and tried to follow it step by step but everytime it got to the Mac OS X Installer page it came up with this message,

"This disc requires that Mac OS X 10.5 or later already be installed on your computer."

I managed to by pass this message and go into Disk Utility to wipe my HD but still when I re-boot with the SL disc in the drive it brings up the above message.

Just to clarify, my machine is a MacBook with an Intel processor.

Could it be the disc? Are there different types of SL upgrade discs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Is it the machine specific snow leopard, or the retail version?
The OS discs shipped with macs are machine specific!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I had similar issue when putting Tiger back on MBP then later doing a Leopard re install. As i recall ended up resetting the SMC then got it to boot off Leopard DVD.

OP
F
Reaction score
I'm guessing it may be the latter? I got it off Ebay.

The disc says "CPU Drop-in DVD" on the left and "This software is part of a hardware bundle" on the right.

Does that mean it's machine specific? Any other way to tell?

Cheers

OP
F
Reaction score
I had similar issue when putting Tiger back on MBP then later doing a Leopard re install. Ended up resetting the SMC then doing PRAM reset then got it to boot off Leopard DVD.

Sorry to sound like a complete newbie but what does SMC and PRAM stand for? :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
And this is the Retail Install Snow leopard DVD

3868585913_6ac2bdc0c7.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SMC System Management Controller
PRAM Parameter Random Access Memory
The gist is though that you have the wrong disc

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks 6string. The retail disc you show above is the one that sells for approx 25GBP?

Is that correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the one...... but I must add, based on the trust system that Apple allows, you should be installing on top of Leopard rather than Tiger, and other than good karma, it's good to have copies of all the OS's up to date!
Even if you choose not to keep the retail version of Leopard, funny enough, at least as far as cost goes here in Australia, Leopard retail version 10.5.6 is selling from Apple store for $158 where as on ebay.com.au it's fetching around the $AU200 mark.
Don't ask me why that is, but it gets a smile out of me trying to work it out!

OP
F
Reaction score
Been out to PC World and bought the retail Snow Leopard and first time I load the disk up it works!

Cheers for everyone's help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.