• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

G5 display problems

I

Inspiredmac

G5, 1.8
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
2Gb RAM
LaCie Electron19Blue IV CRT

I took delivery of this hardware configuration about a week ago, and I have noticed a difference in how pages are displayed in Internet Explorer 5x (the latest version for the Mac). Whenever I'm on a site that opens new pages when a link is clicked, the subsequent page (or pages) appear "grayer" than the first page. Yet, if I simply do a COMMAND>N and open a stack of pages in a row, the brightness of the page remains the same. The same weird brightness change does not occur in Safari. I'm wondering if I have a problem with the ATI video graphics card.

Any thoughts?

OP
S

sonofapplepm

I believe that IE is no longer supported for Macs. I never liked the way that it worked, Safari is much better IMO!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Or if you want to try something other than Safari, try Mozilla Camino. I normally use Safari, but on the rare occasion Safari disagrees with a website I jump over to Camino, which works like a champ. As stated above, IE is no longer supported on the Mac, and it's really starting to look/act its age. Try something new.

-Chris

OP
I

Inspiredmac

bassplayrr said:
Or if you want to try something other than Safari, try Mozilla Camino. I normally use Safari, but on the rare occasion Safari disagrees with a website I jump over to Camino, which works like a champ. As stated above, IE is no longer supported on the Mac, and it's really starting to look/act its age. Try something new.

-Chris

I agree. I also run Safari and Firefox. But one does not always have an option. To access my ISP's Web site maintenance software, I MUST use IE. I have no choice. If I try to use Safari, I can't get into the ISP's web OS. But the thing is, IE works just fine on my G4/400 running 10.3.9. My problems are all G5 related (like not being able to use Sleep mode), and I'm wondering if the ATI 9600 graphics card upgrade is the culprit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Sorry, I didn't realize you had some extenuating circumstances. :eek:neye: Sometimes folks continue to use IE out of pure habbit as a carry over from the 'old days' so my first instinct is to just reccomend something new. I hope you find a better answer for your problem then. :)

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Inspiredmac said:
I agree. I also run Safari and Firefox. But one does not always have an option. To access my ISP's Web site maintenance software, I MUST use IE. I have no choice. If I try to use Safari, I can't get into the ISP's web OS. But the thing is, IE works just fine on my G4/400 running 10.3.9. My problems are all G5 related (like not being able to use Sleep mode), and I'm wondering if the ATI 9600 graphics card upgrade is the culprit.

You may want to try resetting the SMU. To do this:
1. Turn off the computer by selecting Shut Down from the Apple menu or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.
2. Remove the power cord from the computer.
3. Wait 15 seconds.
4. Plug in the power cord.
5. Turn on the computer.

You can also try a Permissions Repair, using Disk Utility in your Applications folder. Also, make sure you have the latest OS updates, if you don't already. The latest update if 10.3.9.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.