Imac + Final Cut Studio

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm a newbie here in Macforums, so i'm sorry if this thread has already been discussed.

I work with video and audio editing and i'm thinking of buying an Imac. I work with Final Cut Studio 2 (Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, etc) and I'd like to know how it runs on a 20" Imac, 1GB ram, NVidia GeForce 9400 video card.

I will probably upgrade my Ram to 2GB or 4GB (If Possible), but the video card is my biggest worry right now, cause I have a macbook with an Intel Video card, and it won't run FCP at all (Motion bumps a lot, but it runs).

Anyway, should I buy it? Should I save more money and buy a better Imac? What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 2GB
I really think you will be ok. But I would advise to say to buy the most powerful computer you can easily afford. And if it's the computer you described, than go for it.

I have used FCP on my 2.2 Ghz Macbook Pro w/ 2gigs of RAM and the Nvidia 8600M GT w/ 128Mb of video RAM and it ran it very well. I haven't really done much since I upgraded RAM so I don't know what it's like with 3 gigs.. I would recommend using 3 or 4 gigs if you can, but I think that the machine you described will have no problem editing and, but it just might take a while to encode/export videos...

T

todd51

I agree with Kevin6432. An iMac can handle video editing, just make a budget and try to get the best iMac (with best graphics and processor) possible by staying in your budget.

Don't forget, refurbished Macs are just as good as new ones. If you wait a couple of months, you might start seeing some refurbished quad-cores for some really good prices.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess i'm gonna save some bucks and buy the 21,5" one. It has a ATI Radeon 4670 video card. Is it much better than the Nvidia one?

Thanks guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.