Airport Express dead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 6 Plus
Hi there...

I've been using an Airport Express for the last few years and recently it seems to be dead. It happened a few days ago and I've been trying to find out what went wrong.

Here is some information

1) Airport Express was purchased in December 2007, at BestBuy.
2) OS is 10.5.8 Leopard
3) iMac G5 is used with
4) Airport Express is located under the computer desk and this location has not been changed for the last 2 years.
5) Green light stays on but internet connection seems dead. When the same Ethernet cable is used for a direct connection to the back of iMac, there is no problem.
6) Called ISP's tech support and was told Airport Express may be dead.
7) Tried almost possible remedial actions, including reset, start all over, but cannot get internet connection.
8) Browsers (FireFox and Safari) tried to load the site and they partially show the contents. Speed is extremely slow and when the partial page is shown, it takes about 15 minutes.
9) Diagnostic test by the System Preferences tells no problem (all green check marks).

Is there any other way I can check if this unit is dead? I have not tried any other computers besides my iMac. When I spoke to ISP tech support, all connections were good. There is no damage or anything on the Ethernet cable.

Could someone help me out for this issue?

Thanks,

To add one more...
my iPhone 3G detects WiFi signal from Airport Express at home. The same network name shown in iPhone but no connection of internet.

harryb2448, thanks for the advise. I will try what you suggested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop in your original system disc one that came with the machine and run Apple Hardware Test in the extended mode. It will test the Airport card. Sadly they do fail and the cable connecting does indicate this..

OP
odenkun
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
harryb2448, I believe you meant 'hardware test' disc. I could not locate it at my place. It seems I misplaced a long time ago. Any other options?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No I meant what I said and alas you do need it. Sorry.

Apple Hardware Test is on disc one of the original discs that came with your iMac G5. Maybe OS X.4.2 and OS X.3.7 depending on when you purchased the iMac.

OP
odenkun
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To update...

I found a solution by referencing to other post from the other forum. It is back to normal again.

Basically, I had to reset AE by pushing the reset button until it shows blinking green light (it shows momentarily) and restart everything. My AE is working fine and the internet connection is normal now.

The mystery is still there... I did not change nor unplug my AE or Ethernet cable for the last 2 years yet I lost the connection from AE on one day a few weeks ago. At least if the same problem happens in the future, I know how to handle the case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.