Powermac G5 light problems

Reaction score
I've recently inherited a friends old Powermac DP 2.0 G5 after it died a death. After some testing I diagnosed that that PSU had died in it- something that seems quite common.

Having found some detailed instructions online, I sourced a replacement PSU and set about replacing it. All went well with no major problems. I put everything back together and then powered the machine on. The fans whirled to life but there was no video out. I then noticed that the power light was flashing twice and then a break.

I checked on Apple's website and it was saying that 2 flashed is no ram installed. Yet there are 4 sticks installed - surely these all can't be dead? Has anyone got any words of advice? I'll be gutted if it's the logic board as the replacement PSU was really expensive....help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's always possible that the ram in the G5 is not the original ram...or it was "upgraded" with incorrect ram.

I would pull all of the ram...and try the ram 1 stick at a time.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Nick

Thing is I believe they have to be installed in matching pairs. I've since tried each of them in various slots but nothing...starting to question how well I put it back together- very frustrating.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi Nick

Thing is I believe they have to be installed in matching pairs. I've since tried each of them in various slots but nothing...starting to question how well I put it back together- very frustrating.

Yeah I forgot about that (installing in pairs). You have 4 sticks of ram right (2 pairs)? Maybe 1 pair is the original ram, and the 2nd pair was an upgrade.

I would look closely at the sticks of ram, and see if you can identify them as pairs...by the labels on the ram. The install each pair separately as pairs & see if that helps. Make sure the pair of ram are installed in the correct slots.

The problem with the G5 may or may not be ram related...but I know in the past when I tried using ram that I knew might not have been Mac compatible...I did get similar symptoms that you described.

God luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And it may have been the logic board all along alas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.