Trouble with Onyx 2.1.1

Reaction score
Hey there,

I was trying to run the new Onyx 2.1.1 for Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro today, but it simply doesn't start up. Every time I hit the icon, I get a message straight away saying "The app Onyx quit unexpectedly" Neither relaunch nor reset and relaunch will make any difference. Does anyone know what to do? After searching the web for ages, it seems I'm the only person on this planet having trouble with Onyx.

Oh, and I'm fairly new to Mac so please excuse me if I'm just missing something obvious :)

Any help would be much appreciated...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
For a better picture - have you just upgraded to Snow Leopard? If so how did u do it - Apple/Software Update or Combo Updater downloaded separately? did u download the latest version of Onyx?
Without knowing the answers to those, here is what i would do, get App Cleaner here and remove all bits of Onyx. Then download Combo Updater Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update (Combo) and install that onn current OS then download latest Onyx and try again.

OP
S
Reaction score
For a better picture - have you just upgraded to Snow Leopard? If so how did u do it - Apple/Software Update or Combo Updater downloaded separately? did u download the latest version of Onyx?
Without knowing the answers to those, here is what i would do, get App Cleaner here and remove all bits of Onyx. Then download Combo Updater Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update (Combo) and install that onn current OS then download latest Onyx and try again.

Nope, I bought a brand new MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard already installed. I did download the latest Onyx, tho, V 2.1.1 which was uploaded to Apple Downloads only some 6 days ago... Should I still go ahead with what u suggested ^^?
Thanks for your help!

Oh, btw, I bought the Mac about two months ago, and I have always installed every update available through Software Update. Dunno if that's relevant to my problem...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The version of OnyX you're using is correct for Snow Leopard as the other versions listed on the web site will not work. Make certain the version of OnyX you downloaded was indeed 2.1.1

Also make sure you have properly installed OnyX. The OnyX image file should have opened automatically once it was downloaded. And then it should have told you to drag the OnyX icon to your Applications or Utilities folder. Double clicking on the OnyX icon from there should open the program.

Was that the procedure you followed? If so and it doesn't work try downloading it again. You may have gotten a corrupt download.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
The version of OnyX you're using is correct for Snow Leopard as the other versions listed on the web site will not work. Make certain the version of OnyX you downloaded was indeed 2.1.1

Also make sure you have properly installed OnyX. The OnyX image file should have opened automatically once it was downloaded. And then it should have told you to drag the OnyX icon to your Applications or Utilities folder. Double clicking on the OnyX icon from there should open the program.

Was that the procedure you followed? If so and it doesn't work try downloading it again. You may have gotten a corrupt download.

Regards.

This was indeed the exact procedure i followed, the version was 2.1.1 and i did download it again from a different site, same outcome. This is why I came here to bother you guys. I have no idea what the heck is going on with that program. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
I would go in to your user/Library/Preferences and delete:

com.titanium.OnyX.plist

Then try to launch it again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This was indeed the exact procedure i followed, the version was 2.1.1 and i did download it again from a different site, same outcome. This is why I came here to bother you guys. I have no idea what the heck is going on with that program.

Have you had a previous version of OnyX installed on that machine or is this the first time you have attempted to install OnyX? Anyway, try what RickPrather suggested.

Also, OnyX 2.1.1 includes an uninstaller. Use the uninstaller to completely remove OnyX. If I'm not mistaken, OnyX puts "hooks" into the system so it can run some of its system clean up utilities. You need to completely remove everything before trying to install again.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.