iChat with AOL

U

uniamboman

Hi guys,

I will hopefully be ordering a PB when Tiger is released on Friday, to use at University later this year, to talk (video and audio) with my parents online.

I've read that iChat AV works with AIM (AOL Instant Messenger), which is a program in it's own right - but does it work with just normal IM via the AOL software interface (as my parents are AOL members). Or would they have to download AIM and use it on it's own?

Any problems known with doing this? Any other programs recommended for video + audio between a Mac and a PC?

Many thanks,
Matt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
ichat just uses your aim account, not the app itself, though it is available.

OP
U

uniamboman

So to use iChat, you have to have an AIM/AOL account? Can it not work with another account, for example .Mac?

In an ideal situation, I would be using iChat on the Mac, and my parents would be using the IM feature built in to the AOL 9.0 software on their Windows PC - would this work? As opposed to them having to load up AIM as a separate program to talk with me...?

Thanks.

OP
M

mikeazorin

iChat works seamlessly instant messaging with any other AOL Instant Messager Clients such as AIM, gaim, Adium, Trillian, etc. You need an AIM Screen Name to use iChat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yup, and it also uses .mac accounts.

OP
S

Steel02001

To note, the latest AIM version I downloaded crashed quite often while i never have any problems with iChat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.