Font Cleanup

D

d-funct

I was wondering where OSX kept its fonts? I've started to notice that more than a few of mine are corrupt nad they keep causing fireworks and PSP to crash out ... I was just wondering if I could delete them straight from the font directory or if I had to do it another way?

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
ok, first off, if you have more than maybe 50 to 100 fonts, you shouldn't use font book, use suitcase by extensis, as far as cleanup, organizing, and font repair, use font doctor.

OP
D

d-funct

Thanks for the suggestions ... I used font book to try clean it down a bit but they are all still showing up in fireworks/paint shop :( don't suppose anyone knows of any free ones either?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love apple, but font book is pitiful as a font manager. as far as using it to clean up,
you can deactivate sets or individual fonts you don't want active, then restart. also, fonts are kept 3 places:
mac hd>library>fonts, mac hd>system>library>fonts, and mac hd>users>your username> library>fonts. you can delete unwanted fonts from the first and last ones, but the system fonts have to stay, and some fonts that are basic like myriad, arial, etc that you may find in the other 2 are installed and used by some apps, so leave those basic ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
There are applications that keep fonts in their own font folder.
Mac HD/Library/Application Support/"Application"/Fonts/

Check this document from Extensis for a little OS X font education.

http://dl.extensis.com/downloads/SC/EN/P/Fonts_Best_Practices_in_OSX.pdf

Amoung other things, it will show which fonts are required in each system folder, as well as, their locations and the hierarchy of usage. You might learn something new and surprising (I did).

Hope it helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there are also fonts for example, in mac hd>applications>adobe indesign or other adobe apps>fonts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.