MAIL application

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB
so... i don't have a .mac account and so i was trying to add a hotmail account, which i did after i downloaded the httpmail script thingy, yet it doesn't seem to be working... why, i dunno.
then i tried getting some info if i could add another account, this time a wanadoo.nl but i'm just so last in it all.
basically, can you use this application for other email addresses or do you have to have the .mac account for it to work at all.
i feel ultra stupid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yes it works with other services besides .mac its just a few of them that are uncompatible without plugins

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Ill invite you to Gmail. PM me if your intersted.

Reaction score
Their is a click down menu where the word 'mac' is that you can change to 'pop' account. Is your computer in Dutch lang or english ? I have a NL wanadoo account so if you need any help setting up the 'mail' app let me know. :cool:

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mr Bobbins said:
Their is a click down menu where the word 'mac' is that you can change to 'pop' account. Is your computer in Dutch lang or english ? I have a NL wanadoo account so if you need any help setting up the 'mail' app let me know. :cool:

oh yes i need help, in dutch or in english, can you just write me a little instruction on how to do it exactly? but like, imagine explaining it to an idiot hehe

Reaction score
I will do my best. :bomb:

1. Click on Mail > Preferences and then the Accounts icon in the window that opens.

2. with 'Account type:' click on the blue bit and click on 'Pop'

3. Description, Email Address, full name can be whatever you like.

4. 'Incoming mail server:' type in the box 'pop.wanadoo.nl'

5. 'User name:' type in the box (most likely your email address)

6. 'Password:' fill this in and be careful to get the capitols in the right place, if their is any!!!!

7. 'Outgoing Mail Server (smtp):' click on the blue bit and click on 'Add server' . Fill in 'smtp.wanadoo.nl' in the 'Outgoing mail server box. Leave the rest as it is.

If you did not internet connect with Wanadoo then you may find that you can't pick the emails up !!!

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well that worked brilliantly!
thanks so much.
however, my hotmail still won't work.
anybody uses that script? does it work for you?

Reaction score
Glad I could help, tried the script out about a year ago and couldn't get it to work so I kind of gave up on the idea. Maybe something to do with being in Europe and not America ? I don't know. :bomb:

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
possibly.
just tried installing my gmail account, according to the instructions, and that one work either.
how frustrating.

MAIL SUCKS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
I have a gmail account, and it works flawlessly with MAIL.

did you follow the directions on GMails website for setting it up with MAIL? They take you through it so perfectly they are doing everything but actually doing it for you.

FWIW I got frustrated trying to get it to work with hotmail too.

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes i followed it very closely, but it keeps asking for my password and then it says it's incorrect...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
try changing your password and seeing what happens

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.