Powerbook only starts in safe mode!

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a Powerbook G4 running OSX 10.3.2, and I am having a problem!!!

Basically when I try to start up the machine, it goes to the white screen with the gray apple, then almost as soon as the progress wheel underneath the gray apple starts spinning the screen switches to black and I get the following prompt in white text in the top left corner:
localhost :/ root#

I can start the machine up in safe mode by holding down the shift key, but this doesn't allow me any access to certain things like my wireless internet or bluetooth, and obviously isn't ideal anyway. I thought it might be OK if I just performed a restart from safe mode but this just returns me to the black screen.

A friend who was trying to help me over the phone yesterday when I couldn't get online told me I might be in 'single user mode', but I can't find any way to exit this - and indeed the advice I could find in the system preferences help basically says if you start up in safe mode and then do a restart as normal then the machine should return to normal but this isn't proving to be the case :(

Apologies for the long and boring message but I thought I'd try and give you guys as much info as poss. from the off.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Gaz :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is one old operating system, not even updated to OS X.3.9.

Try booting from the Panther OS X.3 install disc by holding down 'C' after the chimes, go into Utilities in the menu bar and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. Please do not say you don't have the install disc eh?

OP
G
Reaction score
I might be running 10.3.9 – I'm not 100% sure so I'll boot up in safe boot and check shortly... and yes, I do have the install disc!

OP
G
Reaction score
Right then, I've tried to repair the disk and it's telling me the disc is fine, still I just can't seem to get the thing to boot normally!
It just keeps going into single user mode and giving me the message: localhost :/ root#
I'm panicking a bit now as I've ran out of ideas... anybody?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.