• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

LED, LCD or Plasma?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
So I have the opportunity to get either a Samsung 50 inch 1080P Plasma, a Samsung 52 inch 1080P LCD or a Sharp Aquios 52 inch 1080P LED TV. They are all pretty comparable when it comes to the number of inputs and physical size/weight etc.

Anyone want to make any recommendations one way or the other, or point me to a good site to sort through this to figure out what I should get?

BTW, Price isn't an issue as any of them will be at no monetary cost to me or my family.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I have a plasma, I really do like the image quality, specifically the black quality.. it is NOT exactly light on the power usage though in comparison to LCD or LED. The plasma does, however, generate IR noise.. which is only really important if you're planning on using ir repeaters (you'd have to get ones designed for plasma monitors).. I can't offer a lot of technical comparison between the three listed as I'm certain everything I did in terms of research last year is now invalid ;)

edit: also a panasonic plasma here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I own a Panasonic plasma some of the best picture I have seen, one of the biggest key points to remember is to look for the native contrast ratio, because these days they are using dynamic ratios that don't tell the whole story. The other large issue is that every persons eyes is different so we would be telling you what our eyes like and not what yours would.

Just some facts for plasma
#1 Burn in is not problem anymore.
#2 Huge life span on them.
#3 high altitude isn't a problem anymore

For Leds
#1 still a lcd form factor
#2 not all LED tv are really what they say they are
#3 Tiny power usage

Edit: I really do like the framing look of some of the Samsung T.Vs it actually looks like a picture frame, and with a wall mounting, so wonderful to look at.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you can swing it I would suggest getting a look at the screens in lighting similar to what you will be experiencing at home. Some plasmas for example seem to give off a lot of glare unless the screen has an anti reflective coating. I've also found that when it comes to screens this is to some extent a matter of personal preference. You might want to check out Home Theater: Plasma Vs. LCD for some information comparing plasma and LCDs. That article doesn't cover the LED models if I remember correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
So you're asking "should I get the oldest, older, or newest technology. Price isn't an issue." Dur... get the LED! Come on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I happen to own a 50 inch Plasma TV and a 55 inch LED TV.
They both are high quality in picture, but my LED TV seems to be a lot brighter than the Plasma.
Many of the new Plasma TVs are 600Hz which is very nice compared to the 120-240Hz found on the newer LED and LCD TVs.

Plasma TVs are known to burn an image into the screen, so I would not advice them for gaming. The LEDs and LCDs will not do so.

In my opinion, I would take a look at all of the TVs and decide which looks better to you.

I would personally go for the LED TV because I am a console gamer, and I believe the LEDs are the best for gaming.

If you are watching pure TV, I would probably go with the Plasma TV due to the 600Hz vs. the 240Hz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I'd go Plasma first (I have a 42" Hitachi), then LED, then LCD, because plasma is best for blacks and lack of motion blur.
However, I'd be tempted to wait 6 months now if price isn't an issue. Large OLED screens will be out by then, and man they blow everything away.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've been impressed by the current models. The technology has come a good way just in the last two years. You'd have to work at it to get a 'bad' set if you're only talking PQ.

While I will admit Samsung makes some really nice electronics, I am unable to recommend them as a choice to anyone. As long as you get one that has no issues, you'll be ok. If you ever need to call them, be forewarned, they have absolutely the worst customer service in the industry. I've experienced it myself, sitting with a broken piece of equipment in my media center for over 5 months. Their ultimate resolution was also the worst I have ever experienced from any manufacturer of goods.

There are still current examples of this if you take the time to read the 1&2 star reviews in Amazon. Due to this one fact alone, for me, there is only one choice that can be made from those three options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Plasma TVs are known to burn an image into the screen, so I would not advice them for gaming. The LEDs and LCDs will not do so.
I own a panny plasma and play games on it for hours at a time, such as halo, oblivion, left 4 dead and others and I have never had a issue with burn in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I own a panny plasma and play games on it for hours at a time, such as halo, oblivion, left 4 dead and others and I have never had a issue with burn in.
after the fist 100 hours or so burn-in these days is pretty much identical... amazing what technology constantly marching forward does ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
See if anyone can get you the power consumption (= heat production) numbers for each. I'd imagine the LED would be cooler and less power-hungry than the plasma, and big TVs can put out a lot of heat.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
See if anyone can get you the power consumption (= heat production) numbers for each. I'd imagine the LED would be cooler and less power-hungry than the plasma, and big TVs can put out a lot of heat.

LED and LCD are far less power hungry than Plasma, but new Plasma's are much better in this respect.
My Hitachi, which is 3 years old, chucks out tons of heat! Saves on Gas for heating though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro - 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4Gb DDR3 RAM - 320Gb HD 7200rpm
At that level, it's really a matter of preference. I wouldn't recommend plasma ONLY because they are losing the 'war'. That and the LED/LCD are thinner and lighter, and there is no glare, nor serious risk of image burning.

OLED will be massively expensive for the next 2 years or so, so if you are looking now, I'd give them a pass. any new TV will be a huge improvement over what you've got right now and you will be supremely satisfied with it for a long time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so, I have a question.. this is a tv purchase, not a media player purchase.. who cares what tv tech will be available in 20 years.. I guarantee it won't be any of the above ;)

I'll see if I can get power/heat specs on mine tonight when I'm home.. it is actually energy star compliant :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just personal preference, but I like the way Plasmas look. I think they have much better contrast ratios and far better viewing angles. Although LCDs are improving all the time, they just look washed out by comparison.

Again, I have nothing scientific to back this up, but the difference is startling when I see them on display next to LCDs. And of course, they're typically cheaper.

I have seen plasmas burn-in though. We have twin 46" plasmas in our board room for video conferencing. They are about 6 years old now, and both have burn in from the home screen of the previous video conferencing codec box. It's not terrible, but you can definitely tell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Just personal preference, but I like the way Plasmas look. I think they have much better contrast ratios and far better viewing angles. Although LCDs are improving all the time, they just look washed out by comparison.

Again, I have nothing scientific to back this up, but the difference is startling when I see them on display next to LCDs. And of course, they're typically cheaper.

I have seen plasmas burn-in though. We have twin 46" plasmas in our board room for video conferencing. They are about 6 years old now, and both have burn in from the home screen of the previous video conferencing codec box. It's not terrible, but you can definitely tell.

LEDs have much higher contrast ratios than LCDs without some of the negatives of plasma.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
This thread is still going on? Seriously? I'll spell it out for you... L-E-D! LED! Get the dang LED! It's the newest tech, least energy hungry, least wasteful, high contrast ratio, thinnest display, and is THE BEST TECH OUT AT THE MOMENT in the home theatre world! LE-freakin-D!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
Which type should I get my husband for Christmas? We have a window directly across from the TV, but it is rarely open, and does have light-filtering curtains. I cannot afford more than $1000, and would like a 37" or 40" (42" at most, our room is small). Do the plasmas really have that much glare??? We currently have a 23" LCD and it has no glare, except for on the bezel. How bad is the plasma glare compared to a MBP screen??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.