• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie Export Sound Issue

Naz

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Really sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find anything similar.

I am running iMovie '09 (v.8.0.5[820]) on a 300GB iMac and have created an iMovie project of a snowboarding holiday we had with some friends.

The project runs really well in iMovie and I was really excited to export/share it so I could burn a DVD using iDVD.

Unfortunately 5 of the 20 chapters export with distorted sound. By this I mean that the resultant files seem to play ok until the 4th chapter which plays as per the project but with an EXTRA layer of audio from other scenes within the project. As I say all other audio plays fine but just with this extra audio in the background.

Which reminds me, in 'Share' I have tried sharing with iDVD, itunes and Media Browser as well as 'export movie' with the same end result (same places).

Thanks

Naz

Reaction score
similar problems with exporting from iMovie

I'm curious about whether you ever found a solution. I'm having exactly the same problem: Fragments of displaced audio are randomly overlaid over the correct audio when exporting from iMovie '09 to iDVD or any other format. I'm on a 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon MacPro with OS 10.5.8 In a rather desperate situation with a professional deadline and a project that is held hostage to this glitch...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
This is a new one. I don't recall ever hearing of random audio overlap.

Are all of the source video of identical specifications; same video and audio codecs and if so, is the the audio specs identical in frequency, etc? Perhaps some difference is throwing a kink into the wheel.

Reaction score
Yes - the video is all of the same type: MPEG-4, which was ripped/converted from DVD using Handbrake. The Audio is all AIFF files synced up with the video. It plays back perfectly with no glitches in iMovie, but the glitches are a constant in any format I export to, and always in the same places. Extremely odd and frustrating...

Reaction score
For anyone who is interested, I'm just posting again to say that I never did find a solution to this problem. I tried exporting just shorter segments of the project (by duplicating the project and deleting much of each duplicate, just to experiment) and found that the problem was less (fewer audio overlays), but still too constant to make it viable. I'm switching to iMovie 06 and will have to redo all of my edits, probably about 2 straight days of work. I also found that there is another reason to abandon iMovie 09 for this project: I hadn't noticed before, but now I can see that the use of imported DV video in iMovie 09 drastically reduces the picture quality, whereas iMovie 06 looks great. Curious to know if anyone else has had these issues and has ever found a solution other than back-tracking to iMovie 06 and starting over!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Regarding the quality, perhaps this Apple thread identifies what you are seeing.

Reaction score
Thanks xstep - Yes the Apple thread definitely concerns the same problem I am having with the DV video. The audio issue remains a mystery. It seems that there is no good solution other than to start over with iMovie 06...

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to mac and recently bought an iMac. I was quite happy until I tried to burn a dvd (after working all together 30 hours on an iMovie project) and noticed the same sound issues as described above. So iMovies 09 is not usable is it ? Can I install iMovies 06 on my iMac (snowleopard) ? Would final cut express be the solution ? I find all of this quite disappointing for my first steps with mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've had good luck so can't add more.

Yes im06/HD will work on SL.

Reaction score
I've spent around 40 hours producing a Wedding video for a friend using iMovie 09. Now I'm running into the same issues when exporting my video.

As Curtiscomposer explained it: "Fragments of displaced audio are randomly overlaid over the correct audio when exporting from iMovie '09 to iDVD or any other format."

This is very frustrating. I'm new to macs myself, and so far, I've sworn by iM09, but I'm flabbergasted now because of this. It plays perfectly inside of the iM09 software.

It seems as if the audio has become out of sync with the video in some spots also. Please please post if you've found a work around for this.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
When the **** is this problem going to be solved? As far as I know this issue has been acknowledged since last February! Get your crap together Apple!

C

chas_m

Most people using iMovie 09 (that would be millions of people) are not experiencing the issue. Have you checked the support forums for iMovie 09 at apple.com? I'd check there to see if a solution has been found.

Reaction score
Argh!

Hey guys

I found this thread and I am so happy to hear that I am not the only one having this problem. I have tried exporting a movie and run in to the exact same issues: The sound is moved around, so that at some stages I will have two soundlayers running on top of each other whereas I at other times will have no sound at all. It appears as if all the sound is present - it is just not playing at the right time.

From another forum I read the advice to free some storage room as iMovie needs 15-20GB to run smoothly.

How does it look for you guys? Are you short on free space on the harddrive?

EDIT:

Okay so after I posted last night I tried freeing up some space. I ended up with around 16+GB of free space. I then tried to export the video in a lower resolution (medium rather than large - for 20 minutes of video approx 225MB rather than 549MB). Nothing had changed.

The sound was still scrambled and doubled over in the exact same places as before.

This really bothers me. If it was just random it would have been one thing, but it is the same clips and the same times that seem to go wrong every time.

Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A good amount of free space is recommended for the system as a whole and extra for application demands at the time, but unless the programmers where trying to be extra smart, I can't imagine the audio issue is due to short storage issues. I would expect iMovie to generate an error and stop processing. Not corrupt the output.

Out of personal curiosity I'd like to see what the solution is.

Reaction score
I have found the solution!

Hey everyone, So i had the BIGGEST issue with this as well....

I had a 1 hour movie that I needed to burn to roughly 20 DVDs, but all of the sound was messed up and distorted in certain areas.

I have found the solution, it took FOREVER but it works:

It seems that if you use the "slow-speed or fast-speed" function for video, and don't use IMovie's pre-set speeds, it will cause this error. For example, if you're trying to slow a movie clip down, and you type in "76%" this will cause your sound to be messed up.

however if you use iMovie's pre-set speeds, the sound is clear and no errors occur. You have to use "100%, 50%, 25%, 12.5%" and the other pre-set tick marks on this function. I had to go through my hour movie and correct dozens of clips, but it worked.

Hope this works for you too, CANNOT BELIVE Apple hasn't fixed this yet.....or at least you would think they would have a notification window that this may occur if you type in your own speed.

Reaction score
Possible fix

Hey everybody. I've spent a week digging through countless posts about this same issue. I MAY HAVE FOUND A FIX.... or at least a band aid.

So, as was previously mentioned, after exporting a video from iMovie 09, whether to itunes, in HD, through Quicktime or directly to youtube, I was getting ALL KINDS of random audio clips in odd places, which is crazy because I had all clips muted, and I had an mp3 playing over the video clips (music video). Never experienced this while viewing in iMovie, but it always happened once the video was exported, regardless of the settings.

Well, after SO many attempts and nearly going on an all out killing spree... I listened closer to the faulty audio, and I realized they were audio clips from parts of the videos that weren't even in my project, just in my event section. (Event clips are the full clips you import, usually at the bottom of the screen, and Project clips are the individual parts you pick from the event clips and drag to the top to create your actual movie. Just clarifying.)

So... I went through and muted all the EVENT clips, thinking that would fix it, and no dice.

What DID work is that I created a "New Project" and a "New Event". Then I copied every clip from my original "Project" (NOT the 'event clips') and pasted them in the NEW project. So in my new project, all I had was the exact same project clips from my previous project, and nothing in the 'events' section. I reattached the audio, re-added all the titles, exported in HD, and KABOOM. F%&K YOU, APPLE. I BEAT YOU.

You may get the same result if you delete all of your event clips before exporting, but I wasn't about to risk losing them all and having to re-import. So I just started a new project and moved over what I wanted.

Hope this helps someone. And I hope I was clear enough. Trust me, I am NOT a patient person and I stress over EVERYTHING. So I know how god**** frustrating this is. Feel free to ask questions. I hope this works for everyone.

Gadzooks
GadzooksMusic.com
:Smirk:

Reaction score
Dual audio when converting to .avi file

iMovie '08 on Macbook Pro running OS 10.6.8

I too have a similar problem, which only recently started. I have been using an old Panasonic digital camcorder to film.

The cam corder does not have the function to mute the audio, so after importing the video, I apply Ducking, and then lay down a voiceover in iMovie. The videos are for training and have to be viewed on Windows 7 PCs, and have saved to .avi files for import into PowerPoint slides.

The voiceover work fine in iMOvie, but once copied to .avi format I wind up with the original camcorder audio + the voiceover. How can I eliminate the audio from the camera when converting?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.