restoreing time machine

Reaction score
I have an IMAC 2.8 GHz Intel core 2 duo. OS 10.5.8 I want to replace disk drive with a 2TB. I have an external 500 GB drive.

Should I use time machine to back up all my apps & data? After I replace disk drive, how do I boot and get my data & apps back on the new drive?

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
Personally, I would use SuperDuper to clone the drive, do the replacement and then Boot from the clone and use SuperDuper again to "Unclone" back to the new drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Time machine will work, but in order for the restore to see the new HD.
Boot from install discs holding C key, choose language and continue, and then go to menu bar utilities/disk utility and format the new drive as macintosh OS extended (journalled).
If the HD doesn't show up with the above step, then quit utilities, and then continue with installation of leopard, which should see the drive, and format the drive of memory.
After installation, making sure that your backup is plugged in, reboot again holding the C key, and then go to utilities in the menu bar, and select restore from time machine backup.
You're good to go.
Other option after the install is to go to migration assistant, and choose restore from time machine backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Personally, I would use SuperDuper to clone the drive, do the replacement and then use SuperDuper again to "Unclone" back to the new drive.

Super Duper will be the quicker option. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You would still have to format the drive though if you were using superduper though wouldnt you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep.... you'd have to boot from the bootable backup to format it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.