Windows Shares - Storing Passwords

M

möbius

So, I connect to windows shares from my mac quite frequently. Is there anyway to actually store the password, so that I don't have to enter it everytime when I log on to the share? I have tried saving it to my keychain, and it actually shows up there, but I still have to enter a password and username everytime.

OP
M

möbius

:black: No one here can answer this? I thought you were all a bunch of gurus.

Reaction score
I called Mac tech support on this because I actually wanted to Map a network drive on a PC. Wasn't going to happen. Although the Mac OS is a very friendly operating system in general, it isn't a very nice operating system to work on networks. You can't even FTP from the thing w/o getting some 3rd party client.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
You can't even FTP from the thing w/o getting some 3rd party client.
you can too , open up the connect to server (Command K) , it'll let you FTP .. you just specify the url e.g. ftp://myftp.adress and so forth , ive done it a few times and it works like a charm .

OP
K

Kokopelli

You can store credentials for connecting to Windows shares in your keychain and if settings are correct you should not get reprompted. I do not know what is wrong in your case, you might confirm the password in the keychain itself and also check the access control settings for the keychain item. I would try removing and then readding it to your keychain.

All I can say for certain is I have Windows shares set up with 3 different Windows servers (office file server, client file server, home file server). Except when I change my passwords I never get prompted.

Reaction score
Kokopelli said:
You can store credentials for connecting to Windows shares in your keychain and if settings are correct you should not get reprompted. I do not know what is wrong in your case, you might confirm the password in the keychain itself and also check the access control settings for the keychain item. I would try removing and then readding it to your keychain.

All I can say for certain is I have Windows shares set up with 3 different Windows servers (office file server, client file server, home file server). Except when I change my passwords I never get prompted.

In the latest "Macworld" issue, they discussed this problem. They experienced the same problems where the Keychain wouldn't remember the passwords for connecting to windows shares. They reccommend a program called SMB. Check out their site for more information.

OP
M

möbius

Well, I figured it out. I just created a user account with the same username and password as my mac. The password stored, and it hasn't prompted me for a password since I entered my mac/windows username and password.

OP
E

embries

Another thing that you may not be aware of, but since Windows Server 2003 was released (which now includes Windows XP users who got SP2) the Windows user can reject connections from a stored password. i.e. on the windows end there is an option to disallow saving of the password to the machine on any other machine. This is an option for file sharing, remote desktop, and remote assistance. If you encounter this you may have to turn this feature off on the Windows side.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.