Possible to daisy-chain displays?

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out a way to set up another display to my photography studio so clients can see what I'm doing without hovering around my main set-up: Macbook Pro with 20" display.

I've got an identical set-up that's in storage for back-up. Is there a way, ideally, to daisy-chain the displays via the firewire ports?

Or will it have to be more complicated than that?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
A hub, a.k.a switch? I used to operate one using two VGA displays. Mac retail stores often have more than one monitor operating from one computer.

It's a question of whether the video card in the MBP will drive more than one display. I don't think you could use firewire ports, I know of no firewire-capable monitors.

Reaction score
Matrox has a DualHead2Go DP (DisplayPort) Edition adapter, so that you could connect to two displayport-monitors to one displayport-connector.

Although you would need also one minidiplayport-to-displayport-adapter and two displayport-to-minidisplayport-adapters.
In matrox's website there seems to be a minidiplayport-to-displayport-adapter, but I don't know if it works other way around. Maybe you should ask from Matrox directly.

Matrox Graphics

OP
Q
Reaction score
So running two displays could be a potential pain. Would it be possible to connect the two MacbookPros together to show that same image both displays, so basically the second Macbook is just something to power the monitor. Of course I have no idea how make that work.....

Reaction score
No I don't think so, besides, you'd be better off buying the adapters instead of wasting a MBP for this...

OP
Q
Reaction score
One of my employees figured out a fast, easy and already paid-for answer to my problem.
He simply turned on screen sharing, connected both MBPs through our wifi and it works great!! While it does tie up another MBP, it's no big deal. It does just what I wanted it to.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Screen sharing is a good option as you have discovered. If you don't want to tie up a second machine take a look at the ATPM 15.08 - Review: OWC USB 2.0 Display Adapter.

I would have given it a higher rating but it does not fully support Open GL. So, for example, iPhoto loads and displays photos correctly but some of the effects do not display properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.