ISP Fails

Reaction score
I am having a problem staying connected to the internet. It seems to have happened every since I upgraded to Snow Leopard. I can connect fine if I plug in the ethernet cord directly and will stay connected. That is not the case wirelessly though. I can't seem to stay on the internet for more than 10 minutes before it stops working and I have to go through network diagnostics to get it to connect again, where it tells me my ISP is failing every time. It seems to only be my computer as well. Everyone else's computer in my house seems to work fine and consistently on the wi-fi. Anybody have any suggestions for how I can fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Best way to trouble shoot the connection is to completely remove it and start over. Just make sure that your router settings are the same and nothing else has changed.

Follow the directions given in the following Mac OS X Hint Forum. Note that the directions are for "failure to connect to new wireless networks" but should work for you. Hint follows:

10.6: A fix for failure to connect to new wireless networks

Wed, Nov 4 2009 at 7:30AM PST • Contributed by: slferris
After upgrading from 10.5.8 to 10.6.1 on my MacBook Pro, I was unable to connect to wireless networks unless I had already connected to them running under 10.5.8. Snow Leopard would "see" the new networks, but could not connect to them.

The Genius Bar at the Apple Store helped me solve the problem. We opened Library » Preferences » SystemConfiguration, and trashed the entire contents of that folder. We also deleted all locations in System Preferences » Network, and recreated the location Automatic. Finally, we rebooted.

End of Hint.

Give the above a try and let us know if it worked for you.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.