How do i format my hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5, 2.1 GHz, 2.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM, 250 GB hard drive, OS X 10.4.11
Hi fellow Appler's,
I have an IMAC G5 with OSX 10.4.11 and would like to format my HD and reload my stuff. Can you tell me how to do this or where I can find out how? Books, internet???
Thanks for any help you can give.
Imacer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you have the original DVD that came with the iMac G5? I take it you want to format and put it back to original and then install the updates?

If so, put in the OSX DVD that came with your machine (There are 2 of them so be sure Disk #1 is in the drive) and hold down C at or after the Startup Sound and keep it down till you see the Apple with the gray screen.

Once at the install screen, look up top for the utilities drop down. Click on Disk Utility.
You can either use Erase or Partition. Erase the drive and be sure it's Mac OSX Extended (Journalized) format.

If you have any issues, come back and let us know. After that I would do a restart again from the DVD and this time pick the drive you just erased and let it install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.