Mounting an external hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
Use the finder and mount it from there ...

OP
A
Reaction score
I am trying to use my external hard disk, but for some reason the macbook is opening it as "read only"... any suggestions??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
Is the hdd formatted in NTFS ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
yes it is. Is this a problem?

Yes ... that is the issue.

The only way around it is the reformat it in HFS+ (mac format) or fat32 which has a 4GB file size limit or to access the drive over the network. You could do this by plugging it into a PC on the network and share it. This way you could read and write to it in NTFS.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes ... that is the issue.

The only way around it is the reformat it in HFS+ (mac format) or fat32 which has a 4GB file size limit or to access the drive over the network. You could do this by plugging it into a PC on the network and share it. This way you could read and write to it in NTFS.

So i either have to format it and use only 4GB out of the 250 or i should use it over a network? can't it be used directly on mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
So i either have to format it and use only 4GB out of the 250 or i should use it over a network? can't it be used directly on mac?

Yes in HFS+ but then you will not be able to use it on a PC.
Fat32 is the only format they both can read and write to ...

Maybe you should just get another external hdd ...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So i either have to format it and use only 4GB out of the 250 ...

No, that is not correct. FAT32 has a "file" size limit of 4GB, not a "partition" size limit of 4GB. This means individual files that are over 4GB in size cannot be stored on it. This would primarily relate to movie files, iso and dmg files for most users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
No, that is not correct. FAT32 has a "file" size limit of 4GB, not a "partition" size limit of 4GB. This means individual files that are over 4GB in size cannot be stored on it. This would primarily relate to movie files.

I misunderstood sorry ... yes file size limit, not the limit on the size of the hdd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None so far
Hello, I am very new to a mac (three days) & have tried to mount my external hard drive as per the postings above but my iMac it refuses to mount it & the suggested remedies i.e. First Aid are not available because it is not mounted Any suggestions? Many thanks......Regards..

Further to the above, I have answered my own question, it's in the wrong format......sorry to be a nuisance...regards......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.