First impressions my of Mini - plus some pics.

S

silverpenguin

So after a TWO MONTH wait I finally have my Mini! The delay was due to me wanting bluetooth/wireless and upgraded memory apparantly, but its here now so I won't go on about how frustrating it was having a mouse and keybaord sitting here for two months! lol

So far I am loving the Mini. Getting it hooked up the plasma was a bit of an effort to start with so I'll get the only negative out the way now: Basically the plasma native res is around 800x400 (I forget exactly what it is now) and I am running the Mini at 1280x720 which at first worked fine with my current VGA cable that I use to connect my Sky+ to the plasma. But as soon as I swapped cables to the second vga one I had to buy I lost the 1280x720 option from display prefrences and the Mini didn't give the name of my plasma, as if it didn't know what it was connected to. Also, rebooting the Mini would result in it loading back up in the wrong resolution! Lots of cable swapping and head scratching followed but I eventually got it sorted out what the problem was, seems the issue was with my second vga port, using the built in one that the plasma came with as standard the problem doesn't appear to be there (touch wood).

Other than that all I can say is WOW! I am loving everything about the Mini. It detected the bluetooth keyboard on first power up and it detected my new wireless router straight away (where as the pc in the bedroom thats hard wired to it gave me grief!). I was a little unsure how the plasma would handle the picture being its native resolution is lower than the 1280x720 I am running it at but it looks stunning! I have always been impressed with the PW6 picture quality and this has again confirmed what a great display it is! I put some high res pictures from my website on het screen aver and it looks soooo good!
Obviously it is not as sharp as a dedicated high res monitor, but for browsing the web, viewing downloaded video content and playing music via iTunes it is MORE than good enough. Video or picture editing I don't do on it anyway so the resolution (and lack of power as some people say it has) don't bother me.

The spec I went for was:
1.42ghz with 80gig hd
512mb ram
bluetooth/wireless

Here are a couple of pictures I took quickly just before I ran out the door for work. I will be swapping the dvd and Mini round so the Mini is sitting under the speaker at some point.

Desktop:
mini3.jpg

iTunes and the dock:
mini1.jpg

Episode 3 trailer running full screen:
mini2.jpg

Quick question, I have pretty much had it on 24/7 since I plugged it in about 3 days ago. Is this ok to do? I felt it and it never feels like its getting very hot so i'm guessing I'm ko to do this?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
silverpenguin said:
Quick question, I have pretty much had it on 24/7 since I plugged it in about 3 days ago. Is this ok to do? I felt it and it never feels like its getting very hot so i'm guessing I'm ko to do this?

Mine is on 24/7 as are all my machines, they always seem to prefer this to powering up and down a lot.

Mind you I can afford the electricity bill! ;)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+
That is a sweet set up silverpenguin! :drool:

Do you mind me asking what you have?

OP
S

silverpenguin

Not at all bembol, I have the following equipment:

Panasonic PW6 plasma
Denon 2805 DD/DTS amp
Harmon Kardon 2550s mutli-region DVD player (does ntsc & pal progressive)
Sky+ (for anyone in the US its like Tivo - but better ;) lol )
Speakers consist of 5 x Monitor Audio Radius 180's ad a Rel Storm sub
And its all controlled with a Pronto Pro NG lcd remote

You can see some more pictures of it here although these were taken the week I moved in so its changed a bit since then (well the window and door have been replaced) and its not such a mess now either! lol

Still need to get the plasma on the wall and hide the cables in the walls.

:)

OP
B

badmojo

silverpenguin said:
So after a TWO MONTH wait I finally have my Mini! The delay was due to me wanting bluetooth/wireless and upgraded memory apparantly, but its here now so I won't go on about how frustrating it was having a mouse and keybaord sitting here for two months! lol....

That is one, slick setup!

OP
B

blackscooby

**WOW** I need to earn more !

or spend less on cars, motorbikes and booze

OP
S

silverpenguin

blackscooby said:

Many thanks guys :)

I also have a passion for cars too, I go through phases - having got a new car 6 months ago I'm back in home cinema mode again lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
silverpenguin said:
Many thanks guys :)

I also have a passion for cars too, I go through phases - having got a new car 6 months ago I'm back in home cinema mode again lol

Hahaha! You sound just like me! I have three phases... I have my car phase, where I spend every expendable dollar on my car, then when I'm done getting the parts I want for that I move to my computer phase, then when I tire with that, I have my Audio/Video home entertainment phase. All of these have a 'background task' phase known as my "buy way too many DVDs anytime I see ones I even remotely like just to get my DVD count higher" phase. :bomb: I'm currently researching how to start a "save some money" phase. ;)

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
A little off subject, but that is some awsome photography on your site! Were most of those photos taken at wild animal parks have you actually been to their native locations?

-Chris

OP
B

blackscooby

Top photos by the way. Just looking at a DSLR at the moment. Possibly a Canon 350D with a sigma lens suitable for motorsport photos when I goto Le Mans in June :)

OP
S

silverpenguin

Thanks mate, I use a Sigma 100-300 EX for all my wildlife pictures. The EX ange they do is superb!

OP
K

kabwon

bleh, nice place. i like the couches the most. Then comes the tv!
1 question : where is your mouse and keyboard?

OP
S

silverpenguin

Mouse and keyboard are on the pouf thingy in front of the sofa. Well, right now the keyboard is on my lap and the mouse is next to me, my feet are up on the sofa...lol

OP
B

badmojo

blackscooby said:

Whoa! Let's not get carried away here. The cars and motorbikes I can understand....

OP
A

Ameen

silverpenguin - i plan on getting the same Mac Mini as you, will there be any difficulties with a 17" CRT monitor connecting to the Mini?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
Ameen said:
silverpenguin - i plan on getting the same Mac Mini as you, will there be any difficulties with a 17" CRT monitor connecting to the Mini?

I don't think so, I think you can just plug it right in.

Reaction score
edgefusion said:
I don't think so, I think you can just plug it right in.

The mini comes with a DVI>VGA connecter, which you can use to connect to your 17" CRT. It will work w/ out a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.