Hard drive running during videos?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
A couple of my friends send me videos of them and their kids, and I enjoy watching streaming videos of local high school and college football games. However, I notice my hard drive runs continually when I'm playing them. Is that damaging to my hard drive or is there a way I can download the whole file and play it back without the hard drive running? I'm a newbie to PCs, so maybe the definition of "streaming" is that the drive runs throughout the playback... thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/fixes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
The videos need a place to stream from, in this case your hdd.

This is not an issue ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MBP w/4GB of Ram
Are you sure that it's not your fans that are making the noise? If it's indeed your hard drive making that much noise, then somethings not right.

OP
billwill
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
Hard Drive Running During Videos

It may be my fans... it's pretty loud, though. How could I tell if it's my HD?

T

todd51

It may be my fans... it's pretty loud, though. How could I tell if it's my HD?

Um, to me a HDD sounds like a bunch of rapid "clicks". If it were a fan, you would hear a continuous "whirring" (is that a word? :Confused:) sound.

EDIT: To expand on this, download an iSlayer program, either the iStat Menu or widgets:

http://www.islayer.com/apps/

These will tell you your fan speed. I believe normal for a fan speed on the Macbook is right around 1000rpms. If it's running above that, then you know it's just your fans kicking in to cool the Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you're streaming video, it's likely you're using Flash, which is known to be very CPU intensive. This means your CPU is getting hot and needs to be cooled, which is why the fans kick in. Unfortunately, it's just par for the course when watching Flash videos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.