• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Motorola DROID!

TWM

Reaction score
just wondering if there are any others here with a new DROID? Just got one and its great so far. Best thing if you won't go to att with the iphone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I gotta tell ya, Android is looking better and better everyday. At first it was just Tmobile. Now there with Verizon makes it more appealing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Looks pretty cool to me. A co-worker actually waited "in line" (there was no line, but he was there for the opening, just in case) to get one of the first.

The hardware is very solid, if a bit dated looking (reminds me of a 70's era HP calculator). He had some kind of screen privacy filter, which made the screen seem very unresponsive and dulled the images. So, I'll reserve judgment until I've had a chance to play with a stock unit. But it certainly looks like a legit iPhone competitor. I was looking for an Android phone not made by HTC before I seriously considered it, and now I know it was worth the wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'm looking to jump ship when my AT&T contract expires this coming year. I'm hoping the Droid does well so I have some options down the road. Congrats on your new phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm looking to jump ship when my AT&T contract expires this coming year. I'm hoping the Droid does well so I have some options down the road. Congrats on your new phone.
You and me both. I'll be keeping an eye on these threads.. I've been pondering the droid.. and at&t sucks here, so no iphone for me, because I just don't feel like hacking one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
In time I think we'll see more and more handset manufacturers picking up Android, I think the competition is good for Apple and the industry as a whole.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The hardware is very solid, if a bit dated looking (reminds me of a 70's era HP calculator).
So it's not just me then. There's something about the keyboard and the arrow keys that look so antiquated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Not having handled a Droid, and being use to an iPhone "keyboard", I could like the Droid minus the keyboard. Make it slimmer with no keyboard, and I'd like it better than I do now. It's kind of a chunk "as is".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not having handled a Droid, and being use to an iPhone "keyboard", I could like the Droid minus the keyboard. Make it slimmer with no keyboard, and I'd like it better than I do now. It's kind of a chunk "as is".

While I agree with you, There is no denying, A huge market still exists for the keyboard phones. Look at RIM it's there specialty.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To be fair, I haven't actually held either but the iPhone 3GS and the Droid are roughly the same size. The Droid is "considerably" heavier though. Can I assume that the chunkiness is just a personal feeling?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I am a big fan of the Android OS. After my iPhone broke I picked up a unlocked G1 to use on AT&T. It's a great phone hardware wise and software wise. The Hero UI is amazing though. I can't wait for AT&T to officially release a Android device.

OP
T

TWM

Reaction score
Looks pretty cool to me. A co-worker actually waited "in line" (there was no line, but he was there for the opening, just in case) to get one of the first.

The hardware is very solid, if a bit dated looking (reminds me of a 70's era HP calculator). He had some kind of screen privacy filter, which made the screen seem very unresponsive and dulled the images. So, I'll reserve judgment until I've had a chance to play with a stock unit. But it certainly looks like a legit iPhone competitor. I was looking for an Android phone not made by HTC before I seriously considered it, and now I know it was worth the wait.

So far i'm impressed. To address the issue you mentioned with the screen: I have had an Ipod touch (2 of them, 1g, 2g), and comparing the touch screen with that, it seems very similar as far as how it 'feels', accuracy, and responsiveness. The screen is made of glass, so it has an iphone feel. It nust have been the screen protector that made it feel weird to you.

I have been wanting an iphone, but just could not switch to AT&T, due to the service in my area. I would also need a ton of minutes because pretty much everyone i talk to is with verizon, so we talk free.

I was not looking for an 'iphone killer' (as so many people put it), but rather a phone that will do most of the iphone things, but on verizon. So far the only 'hickup' i have had was getting my itunes on it, an that was solved with a free program called 'double twist).

If any one has one on here, please share. I would love to find more ways to incorporate and use ti with OS x.

OP
T

TWM

Reaction score
You and me both. I'll be keeping an eye on these threads.. I've been pondering the droid.. and at&t sucks here, so no iphone for me, because I just don't feel like hacking one.

I was in your shoes. As far as the hardware on this phone, it is amazing. The android OS seems great so far, and with the ability to allow open development, i think it has A LOT of potential. Plus, you can access Googles APP store, which is still not as good as apples app store, but a lot better than what verizon was offering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am a big fan of the Android OS. After my iPhone broke I picked up a unlocked G1 to use on AT&T. It's a great phone hardware wise and software wise. The Hero UI is amazing though. I can't wait for AT&T to officially release a Android device.

Is At&t 3G service compatible with the G1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Same here. If the next iPhone isn't as compelling as the Android offerings at the time, then I might be jumping ship as the Android platform looks very promising.

To be fair, I haven't actually held either but the iPhone 3GS and the Droid are roughly the same size. The Droid is "considerably" heavier though. Can I assume that the chunkiness is just a personal feeling?

That could be because the Droid is thicker due to the physical keyboard. Plus, I heard the Droid is a metal phone, which would make it heavier than the plastic iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Is At&t 3G service compatible with the G1?

No it's not. :( T-Mobile and AT&T operate on different 3G frequencies. I am only using EDGE but it is not that bad though here I have to admit. If you wanted a G1 to use with AT&T 3G then you would have to pick up a canadian Rogers branded one.

OP
T

TWM

Reaction score
well guys, I returned the droid. After spending 4 solid days trying to get it to work well with all my media, I finally gave up. The major problem was getting music on it (i use itunes). Although it can support music, you have to go through so many steps to get it to update it just became extremely unpractical. It was a powerful phone, but when all you have is macs, it just doesn't fit in. There is a few glitches in the software like lagging when you change screens and such, that in my opinion should not be on a $600 phone. Just figured I would update you all.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Wow, sorry to hear that TWM. I had such high hopes for the Droid too.

Google was always great about supporting the Mac, until just recently. I hope that trend changes.

OP
T

TWM

Reaction score
Believe me, I really tried to like it. I think it has potential for the future, but right now it just won't work for me. Looking toward the iphone now. from wat i have read, it may be getting an update soon though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
I just played around with the phone last night, im AMAZED by the quality, clarity of their screen, how lightweight it is and the browser runs alot faster then my BB Storm does (on verizon). But for now, until my contract is up, i cant see getting rid of the iPhone 3G...my mind may/will change.

All things said, its an awesome device, and i wouldnt mind owning one here in the near future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.