• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Motorola DROID!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I was looking into the Droid, but it requires an expensive $30 data plan just like the iPhone :(

My friend (who was about to leave AT&T) was looking at the Droid, and with the plan figured out, it would have cost him a whopping $125 per month, and that was not including the price of the Droid, which would have been $400. So instead, he bought an iPhone 3GS, and now he gets full coverage everywhere he goes.

OP
T

TWM

Reaction score
My friend (who was about to leave AT&T) was looking at the Droid, and with the plan figured out, it would have cost him a whopping $125 per month, and that was not including the price of the Droid, which would have been $400. So instead, he bought an iPhone 3GS, and now he gets full coverage everywhere he goes.

Thats not much different than the iphone. I am about $110 per month and paid $299 for the iphone... I came from verizon and the monthly charges are almost identical for the same options.

T

todd51

Well, just found out that I can in fact get the Droid for the price of a new 2 year contract. I'm on a family plan and my grandfather is on the same one. He hasn't upgraded his phone at all and was eligible back in 2007! I'm going to ask him tomorrow if I can use his upgrade for a new phone for myself. Pretty excited because I really want a smartphone and I will only have to pay the 30 bucks a month (thanks to the parents).

Plan on talking to my grandfather tomorrow and getting the phone next week. Finally I can get a smartphone! I always wanted an iPhone but didn't want to switch carriers since I'm on the family plan through my parents still.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
my iphone bill is ridiculous every month unlimited everything, and i was talking to my parents about getting a new phone, i saw the Droid and idk it caught my attention, but my dad has the Blackberry Tour and i think if i have to do the switch over from the iPhone it will have to be a Blackberry. Plus, i can always make my iPhone Pre-Paid :)

Reaction score
My G1 works fine with my Mac. Plug it in the computer via USB, drag and drop. Always worked for me. the only problem I have with Android is the inability to sync iCal events. I really miss being able to view my events, I use iCal ALL the time when on my Mac, I plan my week with it, I subscribe to my teacher's events so I can view assignment due dates, I set up doctor/dental appointments, etc. But none of that is viewable on my phone. And I will refuse to enter in ALL of my events on the phone, it's a waste.

That seems to be my only problem with Android.

/rant

I've had my Moto Droid since Dec. 31st, and I'm ecstatic with it. Anyhow, as I was wasting time browsing the android market the other day, I recall seeing an app to make it compatible with iCal and some other handy itools. Didn't download though, I use the built in phone calendar and google auto updates it all in case something happens to my phone. All these super tech guys building stuff for droid are putting apps on the market to make it compatible with mac, even though Apple has (from what I've heard anyways...) turned down Moto Droid downloads and is generally making it a pain for everyone. I've been looking for sync software for mac since I got the phone, and have come up with nothing but PC products. Bummer. Good thing I own a PC too...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
My buddy got the new Droid and the first week he had it, it dropped soo lightly, the whole screen cracked. after i realized how weak it was i wouldn't buy it. Put the weakness aside, it's a really sick phone!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
All these super tech guys building stuff for droid are putting apps on the market to make it compatible with mac, even though Apple has (from what I've heard anyways...) turned down Moto Droid downloads and is generally making it a pain for everyone.

What would that have to do with the Droid being Mac compatible? They build an App or driver to make it work with a Mac, put it on the Mac Software sites and advertise, has nothing to do with the iPhone...

Reaction score
What would that have to do with the Droid being Mac compatible? They build an App or driver to make it work with a Mac, put it on the Mac Software sites and advertise, has nothing to do with the iPhone...

PC has an application much like itunes for the android systems, but I heard apple won't endorse an application from them. Mabye someone will come out with a third party application for mac. I never said it had anything to do with the iPhone...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
PC has an application much like itunes for the android systems, but I heard apple won't endorse an application from them. Mabye someone will come out with a third party application for mac. I never said it had anything to do with the iPhone...

Apple doesn't have to endorse anything. Anyone who is willing to pay for the Mac SDK can develop Apps for the Mac. They can make the App Mac compatible if they want to. In fact, if it's NOT Mac compatible it's only because they have not bothered to make it so. Lack of Mac compatibility has exactly ZERO to do with Apple.

OP
T

TWM

Reaction score
took my droid back for a storm2 and have been much happier.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Anyone who is willing to pay for the Mac SDK can develop Apps for the Mac.
Don't even have to pay for it - you can get it from ADC and it comes with every Mac.

took my droid back for a storm2 and have been much happier.
I heard the Storm one was a bit of a rough ride. Is the Storm 2 a solid phone?

OP
T

TWM

Reaction score
I heard the same thing about the storm, ans thats why i went with the droid first. I have had the storm 2 for about 3 weeks and so far it is very solid. Minimal crashes (no more than my iphone or droid). Think i have had to force restart once or twice but that was with me installing and uninstalling all sorts of stuff. I love the how the phone performs "phone functions" extremely well. It rings loud, speaker phone is the loudest i have ever heard, and the call volume in your ear is really loud. Calls are also extremely clear. The only thing i recommend is using opera browser. So far so good. I heard horror stories about the storm1 but it seems that the storm 2 got it right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.