Resizing an Image for use as a Desktop

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an image I want to use as my desktop background. The image has been 'borrowed' from the internet and it's size is 250x140 pixels. When I try to use this as my desktop image it becomes very distorted and unclear as my Mac stretches it to fit the screen.

Is there anyway I can increase the image size so that when using it as a desktop it is nice and clear?

Thanks

Rob

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That's too small to use as a desktop image. Depending on your screen resolution 800X600 or higher.

250X140 is very small and it doesn't have enough information, that's why when you try to fit it to your desktop it's all blurry and distorted. To make it large enough to fit your screen it has to make up stuff and hence why it's not nice and clear.

OP
B
Reaction score
That's the why, appreciate that.

But is there anyway I can resize, using software if necessary, to make it nice and clear and large enough to use as a desktop?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That's the why, appreciate that.

But is there anyway I can resize, using software if necessary, to make it nice and clear and large enough to use as a desktop?

You are going to run into the same problem with an image editing software. The image is small, and you are enlarging an image that doesn't have a lot of information. When you make it larger it needs to fill those missing bits of information with garbage and you end up with a blurry image.

OP
B
Reaction score
Cheers for that.

Looks like it's a no go then

Bugger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
You could try converting the image into a smart object in photoshop and then resizing it! But I doubt you would be able to scale it up enough to fill your screen, depending on the resolution obviously.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.