G4 and monitor issues

Reaction score
thanks in advance to anyone that can help

System:Apple Power Macintosh G4 733 stock only upgrades,3 X 512 Kingston KTC-PRL PC133/512 PC133

Problem:system has not been used in about 11 months

i press power button systems shows like it power ups fine no beeps, i can hear the harddrive sounds like its booting, monitor does not turn on(17 inch lcd screen), press monitor power button lite comes on then turns off, mouse does not light up to show its getting power,

keyboard and mouse tested on pc works fine, tested memory on pc works fine, mac monitor tested on another mac works fine,

anything else i can try.
used only one memory stick nothing changed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Sounds like it might be a bad power supply.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, any other ideas before i buy a power supply? And does anyone known where i can find a cheap one, cheapest i found was on ebay about $47

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
System:Apple Power Macintosh G4 733 stock only upgrades,3 X 512 Kingston KTC-PRL PC133/512 PC133

Problem:system has not been used in about 11 months

Did this computer work ok 11 months ago? Because if it did, then a power supply usually doesn't go bad from just sitting around for 11 months.

I'm going to guess it could probably use a new PRAM battery:

3.6v Newer Technology Lithium 1/2 AA PRAM Com... (3.6VPRAM) at OWC

Get yourself one of these, pop it in, see if it helps.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Did this computer work ok 11 months ago? Because if it did, then a power supply usually doesn't go bad from just sitting around for 11 months.

I'm going to guess it could probably use a new PRAM battery:

3.6v Newer Technology Lithium 1/2 AA PRAM Com... (3.6VPRAM) at OWC

Get yourself one of these, pop it in, see if it helps.

- Nick

im sure i need a new one but does any one know why my mouse would not light up when its connected would the PRAM battery also affect this from happening. i read in some modles this would affect the screen from turning on.

And yes computer worked fine 11 months only used to store music and watch movies

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im sure i need a new one but does any one know why my mouse would not light up when its connected would the PRAM battery also affect this from happening.

What do you mean..."mouse would not light up when it is connected"?

If you're using an Apple OEM mouse...they don't light up.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
What do you mean..."mouse would not light up when it is connected"?

If you're using an Apple OEM mouse...they don't light up.

- Nick

im using the see through oval apple mouse thats white, lights up when you click or move it around, does not light up when i do either.

images.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im using the see through oval apple mouse thats white, lights up when you click or move it around, does not light up when i do either.

Ok Thanks. I think that I got your computer confused with another thread. I see that you have a G4 733mhz Powermac.

All I can say is, if this computer worked 11 months ago...and if it has been unplugged since then...then it should work now (power supply shouldn't have gone bad just sitting around).

If you did have it plugged in during those 11 months...then you never know...some sort of electrical surge caused by a power spike or thunderstorm could have "zapped" something.

Also...have you messed around with the ram? If you installed ram recently, and it's not 100% compatible...that could cause the symptoms you're experiencing.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
yep i installed ram recently, i thought this ram was compatible, does any one know a list of 100% compatible ram for my G4, computer was unplugged for the 11 months.

OP
M
Reaction score
update bought pram battery and memory form website we love macs, changed battery with old memory upgrade, still did not turn on, added new memory finally got the sweet mac power chime, issue solved thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a rule of thumb if you purchased the memory from a PC shop, it will be the cheaper high density memory that will not work in your G4. They are extremely fussy about the correct memory. ill run for a couple of days/weeks and fail often.

Your memory needs to match these specs:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/133SD512328/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.