Finder freezes at desktop loops to login

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having trouble with my macbook pro 2.4ghz Intel core 2 duo, 4gb ram, OS: Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

I use this computer at school. On Thursday, it worked fine. I started it up Saturday, and this is when my problem started. I have had absolutely no trouble with my mac until Saturday.

Upon login, finder froze, showing my desktop image, the spinning beachball in the upper left-hand corner, and just the magnifying glass in the upper right, dock and desktop icons (but not the hard drive icon).

I have tried each possible thing to identify what the problem is and what steps I have taken to try and fix this. I have tried resetting the PRAM, NVRAM, SMC, resetting the ACL and home permissions (from reset password app on Snow Leopard disk leopard disk), Single-mode> /sbin/fsck -fy (comes us saying File System has been modified), disk utility repair disk permissions and repair disk (says everything is OK) and lastly archive and install.

Personally I am ready to make another account and just transfer all the files over. What else should I do?

****update***
In Console I found a possible explanation to the problem???
(I attached the complete log with the errors.

Process: Finder [1305]
Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder
Identifier: com.apple.finder
Version: 10.6 (10.6)
Build Info: Finder_FE-6650000~6
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [864]

Date/Time: 2009-11-14 14:54:27.151 -0800
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.2
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 6 Dispatch queue: TFSVolumeInfo::GetSyncGCDQueue

View attachment Finder_2009-11-14-145430.crash.zip

Reaction score
It could be something wrong with (taking a shot in the dark here) the CPU and/or the RAM itself. It seems that it could also be the Logic Board. Wait here until someone after me replies to this. Then, I'd take it to the Apple Store.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like a hardware problem. Suggest running the Apple Hardware Test using your Snow Leopard install DVD. See the following Apple KB article: Link

The freezing of Finder could be related to a graphics hardware problem or it could even be bad memory. If the hardware test doesn't yield any results, you might want to make an appointment with an Apple genius and have them look at your machine. (I'm assuming it's still under warranty or Apple care.)

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
In Console I found a possible explanation to the problem???
(I attached the complete log with the errors.

Process: Finder [1305]
Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder
Identifier: com.apple.finder
Version: 10.6 (10.6)
Build Info: Finder_FE-6650000~6
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [864]

Date/Time: 2009-11-14 14:54:27.151 -0800
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.2
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 6 Dispatch queue: TFSVolumeInfo::GetSyncGCDQueue

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.