ibook G4

Reaction score
So heres the story,
I just got my moms old ibook g4.
I want to try and speed it up a little because its running ridiculously slow.
Its running OSX 10.3.9.
I dont want to spend any money.
I cant delete old document on the computer because my mom may still need some of them.
So any suggestions?

Reaction score
There really isn't much you can do, to be honest. You could always clear the system caches via applications like Onyx, but even that is not going to be of much significance, I'm afraid.

OP
D
Reaction score
can you give me a link for a version of Onyx that works with 10.3.9, also is there any free versions of Xslimmer

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I want to try and speed it up a little because its running ridiculously slow.

So any suggestions?

You didn't tell us the exact model...but more than likely the iBooks slow speed is due to an older/slower CPU & GPU...and there isn't much you can do about that.

You may be able to do some "tweeks" but you more than likely won't see any significant speed increases...it is what it is.;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
its ppc 1ghz

This iBook really shouldn't be too slow. I used to have a 933mhz iBook...and it was pretty good with internet surfing (no You Tube), email, and MS Office.

But if you are used to using faster computers...it could seem slow.

- Nick

p.s. You also didn't mention how much ram it has. When you ask for help...you really should list the specs of the computer in your initial post (model, cpu speed, amount of ram, etc.)...it really helps speed things along.

OP
D
Reaction score
This iBook really shouldn't be too slow. I used to have a 933mhz iBook...and it was pretty good with internet surfing (no You Tube), email, and MS Office.

But if you are used to using faster computers...it could seem slow.

- Nick

p.s. You also didn't mention how much ram it has. When you ask for help...you really should list the specs of the computer in your initial post (model, cpu speed, amount of ram, etc.)...it really helps speed things along.
sry it only got 256mb ram, is there anyway i could use the hardrive as addional ram?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A hard drive can not be used as RAM. Swap File, Virtual memory but not RAM. 256Megs is way too little now a days, even for 10.3.

Xslimmer has nothing to do with a Power PC Mac. It's for an Intel Mac with Universal applications to remove the Power PC part of the code making the application a lot smaller.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.