Just a little forewarning for upgrading your own HDD

Reaction score
What's up friends, I made a thread a couple days ago making mention of my newly minted MacBook Pro! So far, I love it. I am impressed with everything about it so far. It's far and away better than my previous computer (a black macbook 2.16 GHz). Anyways, I upgraded the HDD myself and realized there was a little something missing on the new one.

You see, the hard drive that comes with the MacBook has these little pegs (4 pegs total):

Photoon2009-11-14at2147.jpg

And the new hard drive I put in looked something like this:

Photoon2009-11-14at21472.jpg

Well it didn't take long to realize what those pegs do, they keep your hard drive secure inside the mounting bracket that you unscrew to access it. I'm not totally sure if not having the pegs is a bad thing, but I am pretty sure I didn't feel like finding out the hard way.

Just a little word of mention for those who may be considering upgrading the hard drives in their own macbooks any time soon. Best of luck to you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Aren't the "pegs" attached to the bracket which has the hard drive enclosed? Removing the bracket from the old hard drive and placing it on the new one is all you should have to do. After the bracket is attached, slide the new hard drive into the enclosure.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
If it's not a bracket, you should be able to remove the pins ... these hdd's were not made special for apple.

OP
Calijoefornia
Reaction score
Aren't the "pegs" attached to the bracket which has the hard drive enclosed? Removing the bracket from the old hard drive and placing it on the new one is all you should have to do. After the bracket is attached, slide the new hard drive into the enclosure.

Regards.

Not with these ones. There is only one removable bracket and it's the piece you remove to get the hard drive out. There is no bracket that the hard drive comes enclosed in. From the manual:

Screenshot2009-11-14at102137PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Yea if you did a little more research you would see that you do have to remove those screws with a t6 torx screwdriver.

I followed this guide

YouTube - Guide: How To Swap / Upgrade Hard Drive / HDD and RAM / Memory In A 2009 Apple MacBook Pro 13"

However I forgot to read that you need a t6 torx screwdriver and I was freaking out as well. I can't believe I missed that in the list of tools. However I got lucky and with a little more elbow grease and some pliers I got all of the screws out of the side and then placed them in the new HD. But yea the new HD don't come with those screws in them, you have to take them out of the old HD and put them in the new HD.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not with these ones. There is only one removable bracket and it's the piece you remove to get the hard drive out. There is no bracket that the hard drive comes enclosed in. From the manual:

Thanks for the clarification Calijoefornia. Hope the OP reads your reply.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.