Anyone with experience of SSD in a MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Hi all,

wow, it's been a wee while since I have been on here. My life got a bit hectic a while back and I haven't had the time to browse forums like I used to.

However,

I just got another external hard drive for my first Gen MBP and decided to see how much SSD drives were. I found a 128Gb drive made by Kingston for £167 which is a lot cheaper than when I last looked.

Link

Even though this is relatively cheap, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of either

a) Using this drive in their MBP

or

c) Putting an SSD into a MBP?

I have glanced at stories about intel SSD's have degregation problems and so forth so just wondered what you guys think? would I be better off saving for a new MBP instead of trying to hoik up it's performance with a snazzy hard drive?

I still have my original 80Gb drive in and use the laptop every day for After Effects and editing. I do use external drives for big jobs but a lot of the time I find my self working on stuff from the internal drive so I guess I am just a little wary of how SSD's handle a lot of read/writes.

I'm still running OSX 10.4.11 as well. This is as stock as they come! :) apart from now having the maximum 2Gb ram installed.

Thank you in advance for any information you can give,

Mel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.