OSx vs. Windows/Linux College Essay Help

Reaction score
I am writing a college level persuasive paper about the different operating systems. I am interested in what you like and dislike about the OS you use, as well as your opinions on other OS's like Windows 7 and the different distros of Linux.

My essay will be based on facts, however, I will be including a few paragraphs on the different perspectives of those who use each OS.

Any input would be very helpful, thanks!

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of any OS that is Unix based. The innate security of the Unix operating system and it error-handling abilities are legendary. The speed at which the processors work and the true multitasking ability make these two operating systems the best at what they do.

I do like to use the DOS based system also. Not because of any special abilities but because of the multitude of programs available for it. I find the operating system itself to be archaic, cumbersome and slow but the plethora of choices for software and the nearly universal use of that software in industry and for entertainment make the ownership of that system nearly a requirement. (The success of Boot Camp may change that soon, however!)

Reaction score
Mac OS X has no viruses, but that doesn't mean there won't be one.
There is a trojan for Mac OS X, but unlike Windows, there's no registry, and the trojan is easily removed through third-party software.
While Apple's computers are more expensive, a comparable Windows PC with the same hardware specs will be about the same, if not exactly the same. (Though this varies to a degree: store purchased, etc.)
Older Macintosh computers (post-Jobs return) are upgradable to an extent- like any computer out there.
Games do exist for Mac OS X, despite what Windows owners might claim. There may not be as many games, nor could there be the same titles (like the Games For Windows titles), but nonetheless, there are games that will suffice the most diehard computer game enthusiast.
Applications are easily uninstalled in Mac OS X: drag the application to the trash, or find a third party software to uninstall it, such AppCleaner. This may seem funny at first, but compare that to Windows own software "wizard uninstaller/installer". Yes, it is that much simpler.

Finally, unlike Windows, Mac OS X cannot, therefore should not, be installed on any other hardware other than Apple's own, on the flipside however, Windows can be run on Intel Mac's. As can most Linux distro's. So..there you have it.

Yes, these are facts. (One or two of them may be debatable).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Adding to Chris H's post....
Macs are very user friendly, to the extent that even someone who has never used a computer before, can get on a mac, and find their way around in minutes. To top it off, there are many mac tutorials that come with many applications, as well as the many tutorials on the apple site.... such as "Learn your way around Macs in minutes.
Majority of Mac users have very few, if not no issues with their computers, and enjoy seamless use of their operating systems , unlike majority of PC users (windows OS), who have the constant battle of freezes, crashes, virus's, trojans, as well as the financial burden and time without their systems while being repaired.
Apple OS's are designed to go with the computers that are made by Apple, therefor, eliminating compatibility issues, unlike Windows.
Macs give you a reliable package, while Windows gives you just the OS.
If you've heard the expression "once you've gone a Mac, you can't go back".....that rings so true for so many, or at least for everyone that I know who spent many years with windows, then converted, and can't help but to say that they can't believe that they didn't make the change sooner.
I better stop there, and allow others to add to that, or the possible few that have had a couple of hiccups, that may wish to disagree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I prefer Macs basically because the only PCs I have ever had were very old - I used to have a desktop computer with Windows (98, I think) and then my dad installed Linux on another partition on that computer's HDD. And then guess what happened? The Windows partition broke down, so we were stuck with Linux. We really liked it. Then, we switched over to Mac and we still own our Macs and are not planning on switching back any time soon. I also had a very old Windows 98 laptop (an IBM Thinkpad)that had no built-in internet connection.

However, I understand that all PCs (and Macs) have built-in wireless cards and are generally more secure than they used to be. The main reason why I decided to upgrade from a PowerBook G4 to a MacBook Pro last August (2008) was because I was already used to the OS, and it seems to have more features than most PCs do. The only thing that Windows has over Mac, besides the price of the hardware, is the fact that it is more compatible with touch screens than Mac OS X. The closest to a PC I currently have is a VirtualBox VM with the Windows 7 RC installed on it. I daresay it's not bad, but it is still not Mac OS X.

As for Linux, it works. The only problems I would have if I had to switch to Linux is that there isn't just one website that shows a lot of downloadable applications. Apple's website has a "Downloads" section where you can download a ton of stuff, like apps, screensavers, icon sets, Dashboard widgets, etc. The other problem would be that I would have to get used to the interface, which I did do with Mac OS X.

Also, like Chris H. said, Mac OS X (which, to me, is the superior OS of the three) is only legally installed on Apple hardware. However, Windows, Linux, OpenSolaris, normal Solaris, or really any OS can run on Apple hardware, but Mac OS X can only run on Apple hardware. So, it is really better to have Apple hardware, and the only way to get that is to buy a Mac, preferably an Intel Mac.

Also, another reason I like OS X better than Windows is that I can navigate through the Finder more easily than I can the Windows Explorer. I don't know why. But I think it is more customizable than Windows Explorer. For example, you can drag apps up to the top of a Finder window for quick access. I don't think you can do that in Windows Explorer.

And finally, the Dock. I know there are programs like RocketDock for Windows and CairoDock for Linux, but the Mac OS X Dock is pretty darn nice. It is very organized right out of the box, but other ones aren't.

Sorry for the long response. I understand it might be quite tedious to read.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.

I have a two questions:

1. can you overclock a mac?

2. if I had a mac and wanted to swap out the current intel cpu for a different one, same socket, would I be able to? Are the motherboards that are sent with the systems made specifically for a certain cpu, or are they like a pc motherboard, and support any cpu type in that socket? (with the exception of some not compatible with different chip nm and some older boards not supporting quad cores even if they are 775 socket)

I personally run Linux 24/7, and I also run Windows 7. However, I am not bias, I worked in tech support for a company which used OSX.

However I have a few comments in response to 6String...
Adding to Chris H's post....
Majority of Mac users have very few, if not no issues with their computers, and enjoy seamless use of their operating systems unlike majority of PC users (windows OS), who have the constant battle of freezes, crashes, virus's, trojans, as well as the financial burden and time without their systems while being repaired

I worked tech support, and I will tell you that OSX is not always seamless. Mac bases pcs have their fair share of issues.

I assume it is seamless for you, just as a Windows based pcs is for me. We both have a higher knowledge of computers. Computers get viruses and crash when the user makes poor decisions on which web pages to visit, and what software should and should not be installed and so on.

True, I cannot say that OSX has just as many viruses than windows. However, with the growing popularity of OSX, I would bet we will be seeing more and more in the coming years.

Apple OS's are designed to go with the computers that are made by Apple, therefor, eliminating compatibility issues, unlike Windows.
Macs give you a reliable package, while Windows gives you just the OS.

This in my opinion is a con for OSX. Mac has developed a system in which they have all the power. They choose what your hardware is. Yes, for 95% of the people, there is not issue to apple.com and buying a prebuilt computer. However, it is cheaper and and it can make your computer more efficiency by choosing your parts.

Apple has control over the prices of the machines, and windows does not. If you were legally able to install OSX on a windows based pc, you would be getting the same hardware and software for less money. But because Mac does not let you, they are able to charge you more for the hardware.

As far as compatibility issues with windows... Windows has compatibility issues when a company does not create drivers that are compatible with different a new architecture of windows (it happens a few times a decade). 99% of the time you can put in a new wireless card or graphics card, install the drivers and be done. Because Windows is just an OS that gets installed on hardware, you are not limited to apple's products. Windows does not have driver issues. There is a large amount of variations you can have in your hardware, but all the hardware have drivers which work well. Also, drivers are constantly being released by companies to make their projects more efficient. There is no issues with compatibility running a windows based pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thank you for the replies.

I worked tech support, and I will tell you that OSX is not always seamless. Mac bases pcs have their fair share of issues.

I assume it is seamless for you, just as a Windows based pcs is for me. We both have a higher knowledge of computers. Computers get viruses and crash when the user makes poor decisions on which web pages to visit, and what software should and should not be installed and so on.

True, I cannot say that OSX has just as many viruses than windows. However, with the growing popularity of OSX, I would bet we will be seeing more and more in the coming years.

This in my opinion is a con for OSX. Mac has developed a system in which they have all the power. They choose what your hardware is. Yes, for 95% of the people, there is not issue to apple.com and buying a prebuilt computer. However, it is cheaper and and it can make your computer more efficiency by choosing your parts.

Apple has control over the prices of the machines, and windows does not. If you were legally able to install OSX on a windows based pc, you would be getting the same hardware and software for less money. But because Mac does not let you, they are able to charge you more for the hardware.

As far as compatibility issues with windows... Windows has compatibility issues when a company does not create drivers that are compatible with different a new architecture of windows (it happens a few times a decade). 99% of the time you can put in a new wireless card or graphics card, install the drivers and be done. Because Windows is just an OS that gets installed on hardware, you are not limited to apple's products. Windows does not have driver issues. There is a large amount of variations you can have in your hardware, but all the hardware have drivers which work well. Also, drivers are constantly being released by companies to make their projects more efficient. There is no issues with compatibility running a windows based pc.

-It is upto the user to use common sense as to websites they visit, and software that they install, however, in saying that, in all my years of using macs, even when visiting suspicious pages, or installing untrusted software, I have never had a trojan or virus.... and I am sure that one day someone will come up with a virus that can bypass it's inbuilt firewall, and actually infect a mac.
Then again, even though there is the belief that it is of no interest to any of the evil doers out there due the majority of computers being window based, I have no doubt that many are constantly trying to show mac's can be infected, and up to date are still unsuccessful. It is a the kind of challenge that hackers etc set for themselves, so I doubt that there aren't many people trying.

Macs are very easily upgradable in the factory and out of the factory, for instance, the hard drives and ram are just about as easy to change as a pair of jeans, and its is common practice for mac users to purchase these products online, and upgrade themselves.
The quality of the hardware in Macs out of the factory is not substandard, however, they do charge for the privilege of knowing that if you get a computer from them, that you are getting a quality system, and if you have any problems, not only can you get the extended warranty, but the after sales service if something goes wrong in most cases is fantastic.
ie If you buy a Dell, and something goes wrong, try get a solution out of them!

The compatibility issues you talk of with drivers etc for windows, is purely based on windows having the majority of the market, where as more and more now, software, drivers, etc are coming out with the choice, knowing that macs are becoming more popular by the day.

I can say, from a personal standpoint, that I have had 2 macs with 4 OS's over the years, and the problems I have had are very few.... the components have more than lasted the test of time, and other than upgrading HDs and Ram once my Macs got a little old, and my user needs had increased with time (as does with any technological advances), I have had to do nothing.

I remember my days of using Windows on PCs, and I really can't share the same sentiment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, you can overclock a mac, although it is tricky, and there is obviously risk involved, and you can also swap out the cpu, and of coarse, as you know, there are limitations.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Also, you can overclock a mac, although it is tricky, and there is obviously risk involved, and you can also swap out the cpu, and of coarse, as you know, there are limitations.

Can't swap out CPUs on Notebooks, and the newer Minis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't swap out CPUs on Notebooks, and the newer Minis.

Thanks for that CrimsonRequiem, agreed about the laptops, but forgot to add it, and as for the new mac minis, I wasn't aware of that.

Reaction score
Any thing Unix is good to me. Just looking at the capability's of OSX you'll see that it can actually run MORE software than a plain old PC(Using bootcamp or virtual box to run more OS's). Apple continues to innovate new unthought of ways to make everything easier which is very nice. Linux is my second favorite but the only reason I like apple more is that it is more GUI oriented and a lot easier to use.

The things I don't like about OSX is that it has less settings that windows. An example is that with a windows PC i can turn a microphone input audio jack into an output jack of any kind. There are some other small settings as well but i'm pretty sure if you knew how you could figure out how to do them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
WARNING: The following info is mostly based opinion, not fact.:)

I personally prefer Mac OS X over anything else. It's very secure and is designed to be user friendly.

Windows, on the other hand is so "chatty" that it gets very annoying. Just about everything prompts some kind of message that has to be dealt with. Windows also automatically shuts down, downloads updates, and reboots right in the middle of something without permission.

I can't say much about Linux. Sometimes you have to play around with it and not everything is obvious.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Mac OS X has no viruses, but that doesn't mean there won't be one.

Ya know, I've been a Mac user for 15 years now, and I've been hearing that same line the whole time. I'm NOT disagreeing with it, I'm just saying that I've been waiting 15 years for one, just one, really nasty virus to come along and teach all of us security unconscious Mac users a lesson...

At least in the old days you had the MS Office Macro viruses to deal with on the Mac....

Reaction score
OS X, Linux Distro, Win7

they are just different ways of doing the same or different jobs. Linux OS's rely on things like WINE and open source things to be effective. OS X is lacking in games and Win7 basically does it all but is prone to virus as well as other stability issues. A Linux distro is highly customizable, OS X not so much but its possible. Win7 has software advantage because it the biggest and most wide used.

motorcycle, corvette, helicopter. All get you from point A to B but they do it in different ways.

Edit: i didnt read all the posts but you need to know Linux is a kernel not an OS. The kernel simply allocates resources. The OS has a GUI and such. Linux based OS are - Debian, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Mint, DSL, LFS, Fedora, RedHat and.. . 3 or 4 more

1254923848224.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.