Orange UK tethering

Reaction score
Hay my first post! :eek:

OK i just bought a new iphone 3gs on the orange network. I read up on everything and the tethering chrges werent very clear, it states you have to pay extra even although i get unlimited data ussage?

Anyway it's supposed to be £5 a month extra for thethering, so i thought i would go into the shop and findout, The manager of the orange shop told me i could use tethering for free upto the 750mb fair ussage. so i got him to write that on the contract i signed. I have since crawled over there website and it states that tethering is only allowed with the £5 a month extra charge..

Any one had any problems with this? and where do u think i stand sinc it is stated on my contract usage of tethering included in data bundel for free?

Anyone using tethering on Orange UK?

Steven:Smirk:

OP
S
Reaction score
Fekin orange

Ok just got off the phone to Orange iphone support, and guess what, it cost's extra to teather your iphonne to your pc for internet!!:Shouting:

She said the manager was wrong for writing that on my contract and i will have to take it up with him.

So where do i stand? do you think they have to honor the free tethering becasue it is writen and signed on the form me and the manager both signed? Or does this mean it it null and void if it is not honered?

Any advice would be appriciated :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If the manager signed the contract to say that you get free tethering, then it's his mistake, and you have it in writing, signed and sealed.
As far as I know, they have to honour the deal regardless now.
Stick to your guns, it's not like you conned him, he messed up.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeh thats what im hoping for! I just got it a few days ago and i have a 15 day cooling off period. Im just afraid that if i go in now he will say well i'll just cancell that contract in the 15 days and make u a new one without the tethering written on it? But maybe if i wait more than 15 days it's more binding and he might have to do more about it?

It's just one of the main reasons i signed up threr and then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
The 15 day period is for you, not them. They can't cancel it at all.

OP
S
Reaction score
A wee update...

Ok the guy who sold me the contract was on holiday so iv had to wait a while to get tospeak with him. He called me up when he got back from holiday and told me who ever i spoke to at customer services was wrong and i do get to use the ipdone with my included data, and to phone them back up and tell them to put it on... I phoned them up and they told me he was wrong and she would phone him and tell him(also found out he's not the manager but has been on the iphone training course)

I tried to call him back and he didnt answer, tried to get ahold of him for a few days and after leaving alot of messages he got back to me...

He said he was wrong and he had been trying to sort it out but the but because the teathering is actually £5 a month and is a 24 month contract they couldent give me 24 monthes for free...

He said he spoke to his area manager and the best option he could offer was to sell me a orange USB Dongle on an 18 month contract and give me 4 monthes for free??!?!?! I dont fekin think so....:Not-Amused:

So basically i have this written on my contract, and i belive if they fail to honor ther contract i can get out of it, my question would be is there a time limmit on how long i could wait before trying to get out of my contract as they are not honoring it? Say a new iphone comes out in 12 months could i get out of my 24 month contract then and move on to a new contract with the new phone ;)

Suggestions/advice/comments appriciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would reckon the sooner you get out the better to be honest, because the longer you use the service the more proof they have that you are generally happy with what you have.
They should just cancel it and start over, or let you go somewhere else if you wish.
The dongle offer sucks!
Leaving it 12 moths for the reason you state would be pushing your luck I feel.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok a bit of a result.. I phoned Ofcom (UK The independent regulator and competition authority for the UK communications industries)

The advised me that they had to honor the contract or i can get out of the contract scot free, They gave me a special executive office complaints department number which only deals with you if u have a ofcom referance number.

The executive office totaly understood the problem and simply asked me to scan and email them the contract so they could confirm the situation..

3 hours later they phoned me back and they had sorted it out...

Now i have the teathering working on the iphone and it is testing and working :)

The only problem was that they are under contract by apple not to offer any discounts on the iphone and i was told that apple have certian access to the accounts to be able to remove any applied discounts on iphone tarrifs, so the teathering discount would be removed every month, she said i had 2 options,
1. she could send me a cheque for £120 to cover the 2 years teathering
2. i could phone up on the 29th of every month to get the £5 discount applied

i went for option 2 as i would jsut spend the £120 on somehting else lol so now i use my handy iphone calinder to remind me to call her on the 29th of every month :)

Thanks very much to Kevriano for your help and advice, muchly appriciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good result there. Ofcom actually works too - excellent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.