Totally lost: Airport extreme card not installed

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here so could use some help. I've browsed as many forum trends as I could find, including tear-down videos and tuts for the following problem:

My airport card for the 5.5 macbook pro 13 in unibody (mid/late 09 model) suddenly stopped working. It was working perfectly earlier this week in class/work, but when i brought it home (in a hand-held latched and padded case) I got an error saying, "airport card not installed." The trip from classroom to home took about 5 minutes, with no banging the comp around.

I went through the boot option-command-p-r and the other procedure as well (sorry forgot the sequence of keys) as indicated by applecare support people over the phone with no luck. Also, under "about this mac" -> "more info" -> network -> airport readout is only:

Software Versions:
Menu Extra: 6.0 (600.22)
configd plug-in: 6.1 (610.2)
System Profiler: 6.0 (600.9)
Network Preference: 6.0 (600.22)
AirPort Utility: 5.4.2 (542.23)
IO80211 Family: 3.1 (310.6)

with NO "interfaces" readout below that as there should be if the hardware were working or was plugged in correctly. I have also tried completely reinstalling the OS (newest snow leopard) to no avail. Note that when connected via ethernet, the internet works great. And my wireless network works great on my other machines.

Basically, I've come to the conclusion that the airport wireless card has come loose (had similar issue with RAM coming loose on the new iMac), and I can't find a definite answer anywhere as to it's location inside the macbook pro 13in 5.5 unibody, and whether it's accessible to plug back in correctly, or replace myself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

If you are close to a reseller or Genius Bar, pop it in as I think you are no doubt correct in assuming the antenna has become disconnected during transporting. Also Airport cards do die, and they can check this out as well if the first option fails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83GHz 1GB RAM 10.6.2 iMac G4 800mHz 768RAM 10.4.11
can also try "if config" in Terminal window it will tell you what each of your ported connections are doing, i.e Airport, Ethernet, Firewire,....

Reaction score
Same problem here...

Hi all,

I'd like to bump this old thread as I'm having the same problem as Radico.

I have the 1st Gen Unibody MBP (15 inch, MacBookPro5,1) and the when I go to click the AirPort icon I get 'No AirPort Card installed'. System Profiler also only shows me the software spec of AirPort...

I'm thinking the most likely scenario is that either the Airport Card needs to be re-mounted or the AirPort Card needs replaced.

Trouble is I can't see it! I've opened the Mac up and I'm assuming its tucked away under (opening the Mac from the bottom..) the logic board (i.e. between the keyboard and the logic board)? I've looked up the iFixit site (and others) and cant see any mention of how to locate the card on a 1st Gen Unibody MBP...

Could someone point me in the right direction of a 'how to' of where to look inside the Mac? Or even just where it is located from anyone who's done this repair themselves so I can get in there and take it out.

thanks!
J

Reaction score
Airport card not installed on macbook pro 13 inch mid 2010

Hey guys, I'm new here so could use some help. I've browsed as many forum trends as I could find, including tear-down videos and tuts for the following problem:

My airport card for the 5.5 macbook pro 13 in unibody (mid/late 09 model) suddenly stopped working. It was working perfectly earlier this week in class/work, but when i brought it home (in a hand-held latched and padded case) I got an error saying, "airport card not installed." The trip from classroom to home took about 5 minutes, with no banging the comp around.

I went through the boot option-command-p-r and the other procedure as well (sorry forgot the sequence of keys) as indicated by applecare support people over the phone with no luck. Also, under "about this mac" -> "more info" -> network -> airport readout is only:

Software Versions:
Menu Extra: 6.0 (600.22)
configd plug-in: 6.1 (610.2)
System Profiler: 6.0 (600.9)
Network Preference: 6.0 (600.22)
AirPort Utility: 5.4.2 (542.23)
IO80211 Family: 3.1 (310.6)

with NO "interfaces" readout below that as there should be if the hardware were working or was plugged in correctly. I have also tried completely reinstalling the OS (newest snow leopard) to no avail. Note that when connected via ethernet, the internet works great. And my wireless network works great on my other machines.

Basically, I've come to the conclusion that the airport wireless card has come loose (had similar issue with RAM coming loose on the new iMac), and I can't find a definite answer anywhere as to it's location inside the macbook pro 13in 5.5 unibody, and whether it's accessible to plug back in correctly, or replace myself?

Hi Radico, am having the same problem with my macbook pro 13 inch and was wondering if you(or anyone else) has a solution to the problem. I replaced the airport card but nothing changed, then i used another screen from a working macbook pro(same specs) but nothing changed, infact the other screen now has the same problem and the owner is going bonkers about it. is it possible that the logic board killed the screen? pliz help

Reaction score
Hi, any updates on how to solve this problem? I have the same model as Radico's but my MBP's airport just started acting up two weeks ago. I connected it to an ethernet cable at the office, and turned airport off, and then when I got home to connect it to the wifi, I got the message "no airport card installed". The system profiler still has it listed, though.

Would appreciate any help! It's 2013 and there's still no official fix for this. What did you end up doing, Radico? THANKS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi, any updates on how to solve this problem? I have the same model as Radico's but my MBP's airport just started acting up two weeks ago. I connected it to an ethernet cable at the office, and turned airport off, and then when I got home to connect it to the wifi, I got the message "no airport card installed". The system profiler still has it listed, though.

Would appreciate any help! It's 2013 and there's still no official fix for this. What did you end up doing, Radico? THANKS!

All i could suggest is to do a Repair Permissions via Disk Utility, and then download the Combo Update for whatever OS you are running and installing that. You should be able to google say "Apple 10.6.8 Combo Update" and replace 10.6.8 with your OS.

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You could also try both a SMC reset and NVRAM reset.
Top google hit should give you apple's page for how to do it.
I forget which of them will have an affect on the airport.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.