New HD Makes a High Pitched Noise

M

menace3054

Installed my new 300 GB HD the other day.. It makes a high pitched noise when the comp is running.. it kinda gives me a headache. anyone else have any problems like that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
No, I haven't had this problem yet, but I'd take it back to the store and trade it in for another one if I were you.

OP
M

menace3054

i ordered it from dell.. i guess ill ask them to ship me a replacement. thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you got a HD from Dell? lol. but seriously, the hd will make some noise, usually not noticeable, but if its loud enough for you to hear it regularly, thats not good, take it back.
is it a clicky noise, or a scratchy noise?

OP
M

menace3054

Macman said:
you got a HD from Dell? lol. but seriously, the hd will make some noise, usually not noticeable, but if its loud enough for you to hear it regularly, thats not good, take it back.
is it a clicky noise, or a scratchy noise?

its a whiny noise. I got a good deal! it was like 175.00 for a 300 GB HD. Western Digital

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I have had the same problem

Back when i was possessed and in the evil world of microsoft pcs i had a hard drive die so i replaced it with a fujitzu and it was driving my CRAZY. then sicne the computer was getting old i went to compusa to get a replacement. I was looking at the Sonys and apple was rite next to sony so i got my powerbook and the it was all down hill from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
If you want, you can go buy another HDD and put it in an external drive case...

OP
M

menace3054

it went away today.. maybe it just had to get broken in? lol i dont know, but that noise was driving*lol me nuts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
menace3054 said:
it went away today.. maybe it just had to get broken in? lol i dont know, but that noise was trying me nuts
lmao. trying your nuts?
I notice my external makes a small amount of noise, its the normal noise, just a little louder, but it doesnt bother me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
was it ATA or SATA?

dell sucks lol. ive never had anything dell i liked.

I have an ATA drive in there, yea it whines...its a WD, ATAs will whine, they arent supposed to be in there....my SATA that came with it does make noise, but you have to be listening for it.

OP
M

menace3054

its an sata drive, and its made by western digital, i only bought it from dell

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.