Removing fonts recently added - How?

Reaction score
I recently added hundreds and hundreds of fonts given to me from a friend, and it has slowed down my machine dramatically, from loading the operating system up once putting in my password, to opening the likes of Word, PowerPoint etc.

Fontbook also crashes upon trying to look at the fonts, I think, because some of them are Arabic, etc, and maybe it is causing issues

What I want to do is remove every font I added and go back to the ones I had initially. Unfortunately I copied and pasted them all into the "Fonts" folder so I don't know which fonts were there before and which ones weren't.

What would be the best way to identity, and get rid of the ones I have put into the Fonts folder? I have tried to arrange by "Date Modified" etc, but the dates don't match.

Also, if I remove the font from the "Fonts" folder, will that mean that they are gone completely, or are they then implemented into the system elsewhere also? I deleted a fair amount of them simply by comparing the CD to what was in the Fonts folder and it still seems to be very slow.

I've also tried reinstalling Office, but to no use.

I am using Mac OSX10.4 if it makes any difference.

Many thanks in advance.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Best way would have been is restoring from time machine before you went and did that. Next time use a font manager not named font book to manage your fonts. IE. SuitCase Fusion 2, Linotype FontExplorer X, FontCase, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I recently added hundreds and hundreds of fonts ... What I want to do is remove every font I added

You can remove fonts only after logging in as administrator, you probably know that, but .....

Unfortunately I copied and pasted them all into the "Fonts" folder so I don't know which fonts were there before and which ones weren't.

This is going to be awkward. Firstly, check this link: Mac OS X 10.4: Fonts list. Print it, I suggest.
And this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_typefaces_included_with_Mac_OS_X

In your situation I would remove any fonts you can readily identify as being 'undesirable' after having read the list in the links.

Also, if I remove the font from the "Fonts" folder, will that mean that they are gone completely

Short answer, yes, but you must move them to Trash, where they become inaccessible to the OS.

Lastly, but very importantly, after doing the font maintenance, you should run Onyx Titanium Software to repair permissions and to optimise the system (Update only).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.