Connecting External Samsung Monitor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OS X (Snow Leopard)
I have a MacBook Pro 13" running Snow Leopard and I trying to connect it to an external Samsung 713N monitor (LCD 17"), but it seems the Mac does not recognize it!

I have been trying to find a suitable driver (I suspect I need it) but have not been successful.

Any help from anyone out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
What is it showing when you go into System Preferences > Displays? Did you try clicking Detect Displays? You don't need a driver.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are no drivers required for monitors.

What adapter and cable are you using?

If you don't have it, you're going to need the Apple mini-display port to VGA adapter and a VGA cable or the monoprice.com mini-display port to VGA cable. If you're using something else, not going to work.

OP
wclaudio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OS X (Snow Leopard)
System Preferences->Displays shows just the notebook display. Pressing Detect Displays resulted in nothing new.

I'm using a converter (VGA-Apple mini Display). This is the same converter I use to connect other monitors and video projectors and works fine. It looks like there is some incompatibility...:[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Dumb question I know, but you are selecting the correct input on the monitor right?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Probably is not sending proper info to the Mac. Samsung has been known to have this issue with several monitors. Most likely this is the case with a monitor first released during Win ME days.

One thing to try, open up Software Update while you have the adapter connected to that TV. Apple has released a firmware update related to one of these later adapters, not sure off hand if it was this one or not.

(just FYI: this monitor only has a single VGA connection)

Reaction score
I had a similar issue.

I upgraded to 10.6 at the weekend and suddenly my Samsung remained black (but would flicker on for a second every 20 secs). I mirrored the displays and it started working and then I was able to turn the mirror off without a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.