Dashboard widgets don’t connect to the internet

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m not able to use widgets that connect to the internet to get their information (like Weather, Stocks or Currency converter) for a few weeks now.

In currency converter, I just get the error message “Data unavailable”, Stocks’ error message is “Error retrieving chart”, though it’s trying to “retrieve data” all the time. The weather widget even doesn’t find any towns while already added weather widgets only have a pulsing “°”-sign in the upper right corner instead of showing the town’s weather.

The problem existed in 10.5 as well as in 10.6, but I can’t remember the last operating system’s number without this problem. My system is an iMac7,1 with Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2. Everything else needing a connection to the internet works fine.

I hope that I described my problem in a comprehensible English and that anyone can help me.

Best wishes!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Give this a shot - move your dashboard preference files to the desktop, log out and back in

It's located at your Users / your user / Library / Preferences /
com.apple.dashboard.plist and the dashboard.client.plist

OP
W
Reaction score
Hello bobtomay, this perfectly worked for me. I already deleted those two files, but I only restarted the Dock (killall Dock) afterwards instead of logging out and back in.
Thank you so much! :)

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having the same problem but when I moved those files to the desktop and logged out then back in (and then even restarted) it didn't solve the problem -- only removed everything from my dashboard and reverted back to the default of just one weather, the clock, the calendar, and the calculator. My weather widget has my city but just the pulsing circle in the corner and no data. When I try to change the city to something else, it just says "Validating..." forever. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.