Bootcamp and Parallels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
I have Boot Camp set up on my iMAC and it works just fine. I also installed Parallels when the iMAC was brand new for several windows programs I wanted to continue to use, but I found that most of them really didn't work all that well, especially Quicken, and so I removed Parallels.

So I just gave up on Parallels and am now run Windows using Boot Camp. Everything works just fine.

However, I'd like to go back and use Parallels for one very specific application - which in a nutshell is getting on-line to my Windows XP machine at work. This requires the use of Internet Explorer using Windows. That was the only application that actually ran quite well for me through Parallels.

So the question is how does Parallels work with the Windows Pro I set up and use when in Boot Camp mode? Do I use what I installed with Boot Camp or must I install Windows again through Parallels?

By the way, I have "clean and legitimate" Windows XP Pro and Home.

I have a feeling that this type of question (thread) has been batted around before, and so I apologize if it has.

Reaction score
Parallels can "run" your Bootcamp partition without having to reboot. It's a great way to run windows within osx and you always have the option to reboot into windows if you have to. So far I've been running it and haven't found the need to reboot. The only option you lose is the ability to suspend. Since you are running your BC install you can't just suspend it in Parallels, you have to do a complete shutdown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Parallels can "run" your Bootcamp partition without having to reboot. It's a great way to run windows within osx and you always have the option to reboot into windows if you have to. So far I've been running it and haven't found the need to reboot. The only option you lose is the ability to suspend. Since you are running your BC install you can't just suspend it in Parallels, you have to do a complete shutdown.

You might think of switching to VMFusion - you install it without going through Boot Camp and I've been using a number of programs under XP without any difficulty (and, I think, faster than on my relatively new PC!). You can also 'sleep' your entire system without shutting down the Windows virtual machine and you can run Fusion in a mode which runs Windows applications from the Mac dock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.