Environmental concerns

N

Nightblade

As some of you may know, recently, the iPod has come under fire for some flawed designs that make it a bit damaging to the environment.

http://www.fixitapple.com

Like pretty much any corporate leader who has come under fire for faulty environmental practices, Steve Jobs has denied the charges and says that his company is committed to excellent environmental standards.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/04/22/BUGO2CD5041.DTL

But really, who are you going to trust? The owner of a giant corporation that's trying to defend itself so it can save money, or environmentalist organisations who want to save the planet? Environmentalists have nothing to gain from making these accusations, but obviously Apple has everything to gain by refuting them. It's quite a shame, really, but I wouldn't make too much of it. It doesn't seem to be a very big issue at all, even to these environmentalists, but it is still is a problem nonetheless. Hopefully Apple will correct the flaws soon. However, the first step to correcting the flaws is to admit that problems exist--something which Jobs has yet to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Personally I don't always believe environmentalists either. They are often blinded by their obsession and are naive to the reality of a situation. And you really don't want me to go searching for stories about environmentalist wackos who make up stories and slash SUVs and burn buildings down, etc....

Now that being said, I trust Steve and I trust that Apple is trying to do the right thing.

I'm also a strong proponent of environmental stewardship. A balance between nature and industry. I recycle, I use compact florescent light bulbs, and I'm about to buy a hybrid car.

But please spare me the "environmentalists never do anything wrong, why would they lie??" routine. It's not any more true than the tobacco companies saying smoking isn't bad for you.

OP
N

Nightblade

I applaud your environmental stewardship. And yeah, you've got some good points there. Maybe the environmentalists are wrong? I mean, anything is possible....

OP
B

Badger

Could the battery be easier to replace? Certainly but that said the iPod batteries can be replaced. Apple will do it. Several sites sell the batteries and provide how-to guides. Replaceable batteries, like AA or AAAs, are green only if they are rechargeable. Otherwise, you add to the problem when you throw them away. And judging from my experience with an external AA battery pack you'll use a lot of them.
As far as the environmentalists go, they have their own interests and viewpoints. Don't believe what they publish without evaluating it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I certainly would take the side of a non-corporation/non-corporate body. After all, the sole aim of Apple Computers is to maximise shareholder value.

All that "I trust Steve Jobs" and "I trust Apple" talk is ridiculous and flat ignorance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Nightblade said:
As some of you may know, recently, the iPod has come under fire for some flawed designs that make it a bit damaging to the environment.
[...]
I don't agree that iPod's design is flawed. It uses an internal battery, which can be replaced by the user when it dies. Since it's difficult to do that, Apple offers a service ($99) that replaces the battery and recycles the old one.

True, it would be better if Apple did this "takeback" for "free," but that would just mean you'd pay for the "free" service when you bought the iPod. Net result: Apple would lose business to companies that leave the burden of replacing the battery on the consumer.

It's far more environmentally friendly than players powered by disposable batteries.
Like pretty much any corporate leader who has come under fire for faulty environmental practices, Steve Jobs has denied the charges and says that his company is committed to excellent environmental standards.
[...]
That's a nice line. I'll believe it when my PowerBook doesn't come wrapped in several cubic meters of Styrofoam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
schweb said:
Personally I don't always believe environmentalists either. They are often blinded by their obsession and are naive to the reality of a situation. And you really don't want me to go searching for stories about environmentalist wackos who make up stories and slash SUVs and burn buildings down, etc....

yes i find them a bit annoying too

Reaction score
I feel that it's disgusting that Apple aren't making iPods that run on 'eggnog' .I mean the technology is their, so why aren't they using it.

It really is a scandal !!!!! :bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Mr Bobbins said:
I feel that it's disgusting that Apple aren't making iPods that run on 'eggnog' .I mean the technology is their, so why aren't they using it.

It really is a scandal !!!!! :bomb:

lol how the **** do you get something to run on eggnog

Reaction score
benjamindaines said:
It's truly an amazing world we live in. Eggnog the future fuel for a new generation. :dummy:

OP
B

Badger

I heard that the battery companies buy out the eggnog-power prototypes and hide them away in the same warehouse where the oil companies keep the water-burning carburator projects they've they've killed.

OP
B

badmojo

schweb said:

Now that being said, I trust Steve and I trust that Apple is trying to do the right thing.

I'm also a strong proponent of environmental stewardship. A balance between nature and industry. I recycle, I use compact florescent light bulbs, and I'm about to buy a hybrid car.

But please spare me the "environmentalists never do anything wrong, why would they lie??" routine. It's not any more true than the tobacco companies saying smoking isn't bad for you.

Ditto. The "enviros" are targeting Apple because:

1) They perceive the company's political culture to be closest to their own.
2) They know they'll get publicity from this because the iPod is so ubiquitous.
3) Tiger is being released in the coming days and they know that Apple will want to address this, get it behind them, and move on to their launch focus.

My questions/comments:

Why has this topic not come out before, so publicly? iPods are on their 4th gen.

Why are they targeting Apple? Target major battery manufacturers whose batteries cannot be recharged.

Apple has a recycling policy in-line with other major manufacturers (e.g. Dell, HP).

This is a publicity stunt with bad timing for the "activists-'o-the-week".

Reaction score
Badger said:
I heard that the battery companies buy out the eggnog-power prototypes and hide them away in the same warehouse where the oil companies keep the water-burning carburator projects they've they've killed.
Yes, thats 100% fact. Criminals they are.
:spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
eggnog? ugh man talk about expensive fuel! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
benjamindaines said:

Through the months of Nov.-Jan. I run almost entirely on eggnog. The secret additive to get this to work is Brandy. ;)

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
bassplayrr said:
Through the months of Nov.-Jan. I run almost entirely on eggnog. The secret additive to get this to work is Brandy. ;)

-Chris

Alas, therein lies the problem with eggnog fuel...it is in short supply for the other months of the year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.